With Love (1)
Chesteron P. Limeregis

 

Lounge; fire crackles. MARK and his son JOEY are talking.
MARK: Are you sure I never told you about them?
JOEY: No, sir. Not once.
MARK: Well, I guessed maybe you wouldn't be interested in the story. But then, perhaps you would? I could tell you if you want.
JOEY: I'd love to hear the story, dad, I really would. Tell me everything.
MARK: Well, okay. If that's what you want. Ready?
JOEY: Ready.
MARK: Then here we go. It was June, 1987. Brother Love was doing a gig in the deep south, Alabama, somewhere like that....

Early morning. Birds sing; we hear sounds of an outdoor stage being set up - blocks being moved, sound equipment being set up. A caravan door clicks open. We hear JOSIAH's voice singing "Amazing Grace".

LOVE: Stop that damn racket, Josiah! Go help set up the stage.
JOSIAH: I'm sorry, Brother, I was just about to....
LOVE: Well get your hide moving then! I didn't bring you here to stand around
singing and admiring the view, did I?
JOSIAH: No, sir.
LOVE: Get outside then!

Caravan door clicks shut. We hear in the background someone testing a microphone.

SARAH: Hi. You're Brother Love's assistant, aren't you? (Pause) I'm Sarah Leyton.
JOSIAH: Yes, that's right. My name's Josiah.
SARAH: Just Josiah?
JOSIAH: Right. (Something falls) Uh....I'd better see what's happening.

We hear a voice cursing in the background. JOSIAH helps to lift a speaker back onto the stage.

MAN: Thanks, pal.
JOSIAH: Is it damaged?
MAN: Don't think so. Could you give me a hand with the rest of them? They're
pretty heavy.
JOSIAH: No problem. (We hear blocks being lifted on to stage.)
SARAH: (A little breathlessly) So, what's it like working with a celebrity?
JOSIAH: I don't work with him. I work for him.
SARAH: Oh. But I bet it's pretty exciting, huh? After all, people come from miles
away to hear Brother Love. Everyone worships him around here. His speeches about loving our brothers and sisters are wonderful, aren't they? I bet you've heard them all.
JOSIAH: (Pause) Sure. It's....it's a very rewarding job. I miss my parents, though.
They live in the south.
SARAH: I guess they do. You're Amish, isn't that right? How come you left home?
JOSIAH: Brother Love sort of picked me up one day. He needed an assistant. My
parents thought it was wonderful, and....
LOVE: (Shouts) Josiah! Where are you?
JOSIAH: Uh-oh. Gotta go. It's been great talking to you, Miss Sarah.
SARAH: Sure. You too.
LOVE: JOSIAH!
JOSIAH: Coming, Sir. (Quickly to SARAH) Bye.
SARAH: 'Bye....

Inside LOVE's caravan. We hear bottles crashing sharply to the floor as the door is opened and then slammed shut.

LOVE: You clumsy fool!
JOSIAH: I'm....I'm very sorry, Brother Love. But....maybe if you didn't....
LOVE: (Dangerously) Didn't what?
JOSIAH: I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said anything. It was my fault entirely....sorry.
LOVE: All right, stop grovelling. Why I ever thought an incompetent mess like you would make a good helper I don't know. Are you aware of how honoured you are to even be here? Are you aware that this evening, tomorrow evening, all the evenings, people will flock to hear me? To see me? Or don't you think spreading messages of goodwill and brotherly love s a good idea?

JOSIAH is silent.

LOVE: Answer me, damn you!
JOSIAH: (Whispers) Yes.
LOVE: (Gently) Then work with me, Josiah. Let the good Lord be within you. Help me.
JOSIAH: I....I try, Brother. But....it's....I mean....my family....
LOVE: Your family would be disgusted if they could see what you've done. I'm your saviour, do you realise that, boy?
JOSIAH: (Hesitantly) Yes, Brother - you saved me from sin. I....am forever grateful.
LOVE: I saw you talking to that girl.
JOSIAH: Miss Sarah? She's a singer. She's performing tonight.
LOVE: Performing! How dare you use that filthy word in my presence? She is a sinner, Josiah, and I won't have you speaking to her.
JOSIAH: But, Brother, in a way she's like you....spreading happiness and love through her music. And she's friendly, and sweet, and....I like talking to her.
LOVE: If you even look at her again I'll see to it that you're sent back to your community in disgrace! I can easily tell them about your drink problem, boy, about how you used to get alcohol from your blaspheming friend in the city. Now get out of my caravan.
JOSIAH: But Brother, you....
LOVE: GET OUT!

Caravan door shuts softly. We hear background music, country and western, as a band rehearses. SARAH's voice rises over the background noise:

SARAH: (Singing) I'm dreaming tonight of an old southern town
And the best friend that I ever had
For I've grown so weary of roaming around....

Singing fades. JOSIAH sighs.
JOSIAH: I guess she's right.

EVENING. We hear crowd muttering.

JOSIAH: (Clears throat, nervously) Brothers and Sisters, welcome to Northville. As you know, this evening Brother Love will be speaking to you. He needs no announcement, so please welcome him....Brother Love!

Applause, cheering.

LOVE: (Warmly, so audience can hear) Thank you, Josiah. You may go. Get some sleep. (Into microphone, clears throat) Brothers and Sisters, tonight I address you with a heavy heart. (Pause) I see so many people around me; husbands and wives, mothers and fathers, children. I see happy lives, and I see joy and affection. (Pause) But Brothers and Sisters, I also see sin. I see pain and suffering, disregard for the god Lord and those which he created in his image. Now I know, Brothers and Sisters, that you want to help me to help you all to love God the father and Christ your saviour, as well as you love those that are dear to you, your families.

We hear LOVE's voice continuing in background. Crickets chirp softly. JOSIAH and SARAH are some distance from the stage talking. Occasionally we hear shouts of agreement of applause from audience.

JOSIAH: Miss Sarah, can I ask you a question?
SARAH: Of course you can.
JOSIAH: How....why....did you become a singer? I mean, you have a beautiful voice, but....why?
SARAH: (Laughs softly) I don't really know, Josiah. Maybe it's because I want to make people happy, to share my gift of music with them. A song lifts everybody's heart, doesn't it?
JOSIAH: It sure does, Miss Sarah. I love to hear you sing.
SARAH: Thank you. That's sweet.

There is a pause. In the background, audience cheer and applaud loudly.

SARAH: It's going well, isn't it?
JOSIAH: Always does. Everyone wants to hear him. They come from miles away.
SARAH: I really envy you, getting to work with someone like Brother Love. Why don't you tell me how it happened?
JOSIAH: You don't want to hear about that, Miss Sarah. It's not interesting. It was just like I told you....Brother Love came to our home one day, after speaking in the city. We all went to hear him speak, out in the field, and I just....met him. I was (slight break in his voice) lucky, I guess.
SARAH: That's it? There must've been a reason for him taking to you.
JOSIAH: Sure....probably....but I don't know what it was.
SARAH: Oh.

Enter JACK, a young boy, out of breath.

JACK: Josiah? There's a guy who wants to speak to you. Says he's from your home.
JOSIAH: He is? Oh, thanks Jacky, I'll....I guess I'd better speak to him.
Jack: Yeah, well, he's right over there.
JOSIAH: (To SARAH) I'd better see who it is.
SARAH: Right. It was great talking to you again, Josiah. Good night.
JOSIAH: Good night, Miss Sarah.

Background sound of LOVE and audience gets quieter as JOSIAH moves further away from stadium, then fades out completely. MARK RAYNER, a city man, is waiting for him.
MARK: Hello, Josiah.
JOSIAH: (Cautiously) Mr. Rayner.
MARK: How it going? With Love, I mean?
JOSIAH: It's fine.
MARK: Sure. Looks it. (Pause) I was watching you this evening. I warned you about him, didn't I? He'll tear you apart, kid, and what's more he won't care how much it hurts you.
JOSIAH: He's....he's the most wonderful person in the world.
MARK: Really sounds like you mean that, kid.
JOSIAH: Don't call me "kid".
MARK: Well, you're as naive as a kid, letting him treat you that way, and still thinking he's God's gift to Christianity. The guy's a fraud, Josiah. I know.
JOSIAH: You think you know Brother Love. Well, you don't! He's kid, gentle, sweet natured....everyone gets stressed sometimes. And I'm not naive!
MARK: Like you right now, right? Let me tell you something, kid: it's not me who's making you fell that way. It's him. He'll have you for breakfast. He's sucked you in, and when he's used you up he'll throw you in the gutter like a piece of garbage.
JOSIAH: Leave me alone!
MARK: No, I won't leave you alone. You knew from the moment you spoke to Brother Love he was bad news. He took his name from a Neil Diamond song for Christ's sake!
JOSIAH: Please, don't use that phrase in front of me. You may have forgotten where you come from, Abraham, but I haven't. It would kill my family if they knew what I know, and I have no intention of telling them or anyone else. Brother Love has done too much for people just to let it go.
MARK: Damn it, the kid becomes a man. Fine, Josiah, you just let yourself die of shame, okay? That is, if he doesn't hill you first.

In the background, we hear the crowd cheering.

JOSIAH: He's done for this evening. I have to go clear up.
MARK: Yeah, play his little servant. Like he thanks you for it.
JOSIAH: Please don't talk to me again. Goodbye, Abraham.
MARK: Josiah?
JOSIAH: Yes?
MARK: You'd better pray to your God for the strength to get away from him.
JOSIAH: He was your God once. You seem to forget that.
MARK: (Shouting after him) And do you remember the old prayer, Josiah? "God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Well, this is something you can change, and you have to do it now, before....

His voice fades out. We hear JOSIAH sobbing softly through the sound of crickets chirping. Then, getting louder, we hear SARAH singing. She finishes the song, and the audience applaud. JOSIAH pulls himself together and heads for the stage; we hear the singing getting louder, until we can make out the words of the next song:

SARAH: (Singing) It's late, I know I should be leaving
We've both got someone waiting, we'll have to go
And it's so strange to think that I've just met you
I almost wish I'd met you long ago

LOVE: (Shouting, distant) Josiah! Where the Hell are you? Come here!
SARAH: (Singing) And in your eyes I see a certain look
That same look must be in mine
And who knows just what we might have been
Another place, another time

JOSIAH: (Wistfully) I'll be there in a moment, Brother.
AUDIENCE MEMBER: Hey, it's Brother Love! It'd wonderful to actually speak to you in person, Brother....
LOVE: Don't worry, Josiah, you just take as long as you want.
JOSIAH: (Mutters) Sure, why not?

SARAH stops singing; the song finishes.

SARAH: Thank y'all for coming, and I'll see some of tomorrow night!

The band plays as she steps off the stage.

SARAH: Hi, Josiah. Were you listening?
JOSIAH: (Nervously) Yes....you....have a beautiful voice. I really love to hear you sing, you know?
SARAH: (Laughs) Well, thank you. Who were you talking to?
JOSIAH: What? Oh, just an....old friend.
LOVE: Josiah!
JOSIAH: Oh....er....Miss Sarah, there's something I wanted to ask you....
LOVE: JOSIAH!
JOSIAH: (In a rush) You're so great at singing, and I wondered if someday maybe if it's okay you might let me.....sing with you? I'm not very good but I'd really like to and....
SARAH: Hey, slow down! Sure, why not? I'd like to hear you.
JOSIAH: You would? That's amazing!
LOVE: So here you are. My caravan. Now.
JOSIAH: Yes, Brother. Goodbye, Miss Sarah.
SARAH: Yeah, I'll see you tomorrow. 'Bye, Brother Love. It was wonderful hearing you tonight.
LOVE: (Stiffly) Thank you, Sister.
SARAH: Well, 'bye.

We hear caravan door slamming behind LOVE and JOSIAH.

LOVE: (Calmly) I told you not to speak to her again.
JOSIAH: I'm sorry, I was only....
LOVE: (Ferociously) Don't interrupt me, you little shit! (Calmly) Now listen, Josiah: You know I only want what's best for you, don't you?
JOSIAH: Y-Yes, Brother.
LOVE: And you know that sometimes - when you sin - you have to be punished in the name of God our father. You know that, don't you, Josiah?
JOSIAH: Yes, Brother.
LOVE: So I'm going to have to punish you. When I'm done, all will be forgiven. You will be again free from sin. You want that, don't you?
JOSIAH: (Whispers) Yes, Brother.
LOVE: Then there's hope for you. Come here.

We hear the sound of a whip hissing through the air, then a scream; this is repeated several times, followed by a sudden, total silence.

Morning. Birds sing. We hear knocking on caravan door.

MARK: Josiah, are you in there? Come on, kid, open the door. (Pause) Josiah! For God's sake, open the door!
JOSIAH: (Whispers) Leave me alone.
MARK: He hurt you, didn't he? What did he use, the whip? You can tell me. I've had it all, kid - the verbal abuse, the physical abuse; and I've got the scars to prove it. And not just on my body - I have psychological scars, too.
JOSIAH Will you please stop yelling?
MARK: Then open the door!

The door opens softly.

JOSIAH: Come in. Brother Love is in the city today.
MARK: Drinking, I'll bet. What did he threaten you with, telling your family about your "problem"?
JOSIAH: I don't have a problem.
MARK: Doesn't matter to him. He lies through his teeth.

Clatters some bottles on the table.

MARK: These his?
JOSIAH: Yes. They're all empty. He's....fetching some more. He normally makes me go but he didn't want people asking about the....the bruises.
MARK: And the abrasions. Yeah, I know. Look, kid: get out of it. Leave him while you can, before he destroys you completely. I told you in Brooklyn, I told you in 'Sisco, and I'm telling you now: leave Brother Love.
JOSIAH: I can't. He needs me. And he's not so bad....when he's sober.
MARK: The guy's disturbed! He's a danger to himself and everyone around him. He needs help, Josiah, but not yours. Let a shrink deal with him. He isn't your problem, he isn't your responsibility....but he could be the one who ruins your life. I got out of it. You can too. Let me help you, kid.
JOSIAH: I don't know. (Pause) Tell me something.
MARK: Sure, what?
JOSIAH: Why didn't you go home? Back to the community? They'd have understood.
MARK: I couldn't face them again, Josiah. Besides, I'd lost my faith in God. I don't knock it, but I simply can't believe anymore that there's someone looking out for us above.
JOSIAH: You can't blame God for what happened to you.
MARK: I never said that. I don't blame God. I blame Brother Love. He took everything I had - my self-respect, my hope, my love of God, my home, my family. Don't let it happen again, Josiah, please. Listen to me, don't just hear my words. I care what happens to you. Really. Get away from him and go home to your parents.
JOSIAH: I'll....think about it. Now please....Brother Love mustn't catch you here.
MARK: I thought he was out all day.
JOSIAH: Well, actually, I've asked Miss Sarah over. She's going to let me sing for her.
MARK: I've heard her. And heard you too. You've got a good voice.
JOSIAH: Thanks, Abraham.
MARK: Mark. I don't use that name anymore.
JOSIAH: Right - Mark. Look, I'll talk you to later.
MARK: Okay, kid. You be careful. (Pause) And good luck with your girl.
JOSIAH: Thanks.

Caravan door closes. Outside, quiet, we hear MARK and SARAH meeting, They exchange greetings, and SARAH knocks on the caravan door.

JOSIAH: Come in.
SARAH: Hi. (Closes door) Are you sure Brother Love doesn't mind my being here?
JOSIAH: He doesn't exactly know about it. Anyhow, he's out all day.
SARAH: Oh, right. Well....let's get down to it, shall we?
JOSIAH: What!?
SARAH: For a religious guy you sure know some double entendres. I meant the singing.
JOSIAH: Oh, right, of course. Er....where do we start?
SARAH: (Laughs) Well, it was your idea....you tell me! How about a little gospel?
JOSIAH: "Amazing Grace"?
SARAH: That's fine. Go ahead.
JOSIAH: Right here? Now?
SARAH: Sure.
JOSIAH: Okay. (Pause. Clears throat, and begins to sing waveringly.)
SARAH: Stop!
JOSIAH:: What's wrong?
SARAH: Relax a little, okay? There's only me here. You sound terrified!
JOSIAH: I never sang for anyone before. Okay, here goes. (He begins to sing in a clear, sweet voice, very tuneful. SARAH is impressed.)
SARAH: That was really lovely. You know, you should sing professionally, to an audience. Why don't you sing with me tonight? I'd love it.
JOSIAH: Me? At a concert?
SARAH: Hardly a concert. You'd enjoy it. Give yourself a chance, Josiah. I can't imagine that Brother Love would mind.
JOSIAH: Well....I don't know....(Pause) Okay. Okay, I'll do it. Why not?
SARAH: Great! Would you prefer to sing a duet, or solo?
JOSIAH: You mean, both of us together?
SARAH: If you want to. How about "Another Place, Another Time"? Do you know that one?
JOSIAH: You were singing it last night....I think I know the words.
SARAH: Great! We'll have a little practice, and then tonight, we'll perform....together.

Night. We hear caravan door open. LOVE enters, drunk.

LOVE: Josiah? You in here?
JOSIAH: I'm here, Brother. Your clothes are ready.
LOVE: Clothes? What clothes?
JOSIAH: Your clothes for tonight. You're speaking, remember?
LOVE: Of course I remember. Not stupid, you know.
JOSIAH: I know that.
LOVE: Don't be frigging impertinent. Get me a drink.
JOSIAH: I....really don't think you should have any more.
LOVE: Did I ask you to get me a drink? No. I told you to get me a drink. When I tell you do something, Josiah, you do it and without questioning. If you don't I swear to God I'll beat you up so bad you'll beg for me to kill you.
JOSIAH: (Angry) Don't use the Lord's name in your filthy drunken words! How....how dare you, after all you've said about loving Him?
LOVE: Now you just listen to me, you little piece of Amish shit. Don't you tell me what to do, understand? Say anything like that to me again and I'll have your frigging precious community burnt to the ground you pray on, okay, asshole? Okay?
JOSIAH: I'm....I'm sorry. (Pause) I'll....get you that drink.
LOVE: You do that. Have one yourself.
JOSIAH: I don't think I will.
LOVE: Yes you will. I'd like to see you pissed. You're such perfect little shits, no booze, no coffee, no tea, no sex unless you're screwing your little tight wives, no violence unless you're beating the crap out of your own children....
JOSIAH: (Hysterical) Don't you say that! Stop it! Stop it now!
LOVE: Or what, you'll beat me with your Bible? Where's that damn drink!?
JOSIAH: Get your own drink!
LOVE: Where the Hell do you think you're going?

The caravan door slams as JOSIAH leaves.
LOVE: Hey! Hey, Josiah, I'm sorry. Come back. I didn't mean it, really, I got mad. I'm sorry. Please? Please don't leave me. Josiah? Josiah!
We hear sounds of crowd cheering and applauding. SARAH is on the stage.

SARAH: Ladies and gentlemen, we've got something a little different for you tonight. A very good friend of mine will be joining us - please welcome Josiah!

Crowd applaud. JOSIAH nervously comes onto stage.

JOSIAH: Hi, everyone. The....uh.....the first song we're going to sing for you is "Another Place, Another Time." (Applause) Thank you.

They sing together. Enter LOVE.

LOVE: What the Hell....?

JOSIAH and SARAH continue to sing.

LOVE: I don't believe it. I'll kill him!
MARK: Leave the kid alone, old man.
LOVE: What are you doing here? Get away from me!
MARK: I don't think so.
LOVE: I'm not going to let disobedience like this go unpunished. And it's none of your damn business, Abraham. (Shouting, to JOSIAH) Get the Hell of that stage!

Band stops playing, JOSIAH and SARAH stop singing. Crowd falls silent.

LOVE: You heard me! Get down from there! (To crowd) Have you any idea what kind of a man this is? Do you know what he did tonight, Brothers and Sisters - this man whom you cheer and applaud? He hit me! He beat me and left me for dead in my caravan! And why? Why, indeed; I can't tell you, because I don't know myself. Brothers and Sisters, this man is dangerous....dangerous, and unholy. (Horrified murmuring from crowd; LOVE continues more softly) But he doesn't deserve our contempt, Brothers and Sisters....he deserves our help. He needs our help. And that is why I am going to take him to my own home, and look after him.

Crowd applaud.

 

 

Go to part:2 

 

 

Copyright © 1997 Chesteron P. Limeregis
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"