Destination Starlight (1)
Nathaniel A Miller

 

Destination Starlight: Prelude to Healing Starlight


Erwin Stevens & N.A Miller


To: Gail Baudino, (and the Elves of Malvern): Thanks for the Inspiration to get me writing again, and your book's help and healing, "Alanae ea yolisi, Elthia!"


Again for Mimi Stewart: For her eternal friendship, and who died of cancer (1956-2009)


To The DeAnza Rat pack: for your continued inspiration and long lasting friendship.


A cold wind whipped as a steady snowfall of winter settled over the region known as Adria. The area is a fertile valley by the Aleser Mountains from the northern sea, to the lands in the south. It is the time of change in this region, what the elves would call the day of completion, where everything old is discarded making way for new.


Walking alone, a cloaked figure makes his way along the paths deep in forest known as Malvern Forest. The lone person is that of an elf named Rijiin L�Theil, a now resident of this land, who was brought here through time and space over a year ago. As the elf walks back to the encampment of the elves, he is deep in thought, reminiscing to the past and his abrupt arrival in this time, from which he had come. He had been saved by the powers that belonged to the elves, from certain death, after being wounded by the soldiers of Hypperex where he had arrived from the twentieth century.


Before that, however, a few hours before that arrival, he had been in the Mall in the twentieth century called Eastridge, and he had come for a party for a Bulletin Board called Synerchat at the local restaurant located there. He had merely come at the request of his friend and schoolmate from college and ended up stepping through time, space, and literally out of time. His life had been turned upside down, knowing of his death as his complete essence and humanity had been split, returning a body to the future, dead, leaving him very much alive here as an elf.


The elf grimaced at the memories that flooded his head, as he remembered that very day that he had arrived at the Mall, and had not been expecting all of this to happen to him during his visit to this place. Rijiin paused at the Rhillion River, sitting at a quiet pool as he saw the images flow around him, as if they happened yesterday. He saw a young man, a young human, standing in a mist and in a familiar place that he had long since forgotten about, having been brought here in the past five hundred years from the nineties of the twentieth century several months ago with no way to return. The elf grimaced at the images, and the young ordinary, mortal human, letting the images flow in the starlight.


Nathaniel stood in the midst of the falling rain on a Saturday morning, at nine o�clock, on the bus terminal one hundred feet from main buildings of Eastridge Mall. It is the year nineteen ninety-four and as he stood there, he glanced up at the falling rain that fell upon the city and suburbs of San Jose. The young man had come for a gathering of people from the Synerchat Bulletin Board System and something inside was regretting his decision to attend here today. He was not liked, and found himself wondering �why the hell� he even wasted his time by coming only to be abused. However, here he was at the mall, in the middle of everything, in the worst side of town in this city hating every minute of it.


The young man grimaced as he walked toward the building, shaking his head in dismay at the turmoil of thoughts he was having. He had agreed to attend at the request of his college friend and regretted agreeing to coming to the gathering, knowing he really should have just kept his mouth shut.


�But I did promise Joe.� He thought, �I am a man of my word, so here I am. Although he would understand if I didn�t show up.�


This would be the third gathering that he had been to, ever and the people were less than cordial to him because of his online persona. They did not like him, and had conflicts with him all the time. However, it was of his own doing, because of his arrogance and youth. His conflicts always seemed to be getting him into trouble and really, he deserved what he got by coming to the gatherings. The young man continued to come anyway, at the request of his school chum that he graduated with at the college he attended a year or so ago.


The young man shook his head, and with a heaving sigh, he stepped into the narrow street that ran on either side of the deserted bus terminal. He turned his head, quickly scanning it. It is a long strip with an overhang roof in the center of it. It is strangely devoid of people and buses; despite it is not so early in the morning. Walking through the opening in the fence, he entered the sprawling parking lot that surrounds the mall, through the falling rain with squishing footsteps toward his destination.


He grimaced at the sight of the Red Robin� that was located here at Eastridge and turning away from it that he walked toward the Sears and Roebucks� side of the mall. He did not quite want to arrive there, knowing that the party was just beginning and only a handful of people had already arrived here at Eastridge. Personally, he did not want to be here, and made every effort to drag his heels to get to this place or his destination. As Nathaniel continued on, toward the western side of Eastridge, he walked with the same squishing footsteps on the far side of the mall. He sought out the bookstore to kill time for a while until he just HAD to go to the party. As Nathaniel approached the outer glass doors that led into the interior of the mall and opening the huge glass doors, he entered the darkened corridor, sort of a passageway that would enter the mall itself.


As he traversed the passageway, he walked into the bright spotlight fluorescent lights of the interior. The area that he stepped into is the lower floor outside of Sears and Roebucks� on the west side of Eastridge, across from the white wall that once made up the F.W. Woolworths� store that once was in this mall as well. Catty cornered to Sears on his left is the wireless shop and on his right is a store that he never saw before in his travels in the entire time coming to Eastridge. It is a gaming shop on the lower floor, nestled back under the escalators leading to the upper floor and it has a white wall with many windows for its displays.


The young man noted only one single entry that makes up the doorway leading into this store, with saloon type swinging doors. Nathaniel turned, frowning when he saw the strange shop, and he walked toward one of the display windows. In the first window are chess sets and other games sold at the store located here. The second one had a sword and armor, and beautiful tapestries in the display, with a single monitor.


�Come and play live action! Live action virtual reality games. Come and adventure in style with full realism.�


The young man gasped in surprise at the thought of virtual reality. This new technology had come out, but the V.R technology he knew about was only goggles and hand and leg sensors. By the images on the screen, it looked like something from Star Trek the Next Generation Holodeck, from the famed TV show. It is something that is far ahead off its time and that should not be in this time in history. Nevertheless, here it was.


He thought about it briefly before walking toward the entry of the shop, intrigued by the tech stuff before him and realizing it was a perfect diversion to NOT show up at the gathering today, despite his promise to is friend. As he approached, he glanced at the doorway where there is a large sign, made of wood and hanging from a large iron hanger with thick black iron chain. Written on the surface of the sign, and carved in gothic lettering are the words �The Dungeon Gaming Company.�


Entering the store, Nathaniel stepped through doors into sea off chaos as people shopped here, the interior open and airy. There are stand-alone shelves throughout the store itself on the floor, and a few on the walls. In the middle of those shelves are circular areas that have a small round table and chairs, and these are where people play offered Manual RPG games offered at the store. In the center of it all is the service desk for cashiers and customer service. On the right, however is a partition wall that separated the store from the sales side of the store. He frowned at the right side, staring at the decorated partition walls.


�What on earth is that side for?� He asked himself, �It must be a part of the Holodeck games.�


The youth walked forward, further into the store itself, he moved toward the center desk. He sensed it was a part of what he suspected, but did not know that small area was only a fraction of a part of the Holodeck area. It was a staging area, a precursor to the games themselves. He stepped up to the center desk with a purpose.


�Can I help you?� A woman asked, and turning his head he met the smiling face of a young woman, clad in a full princess gown, with sandy blond hair and blue eyes.


�Yes, Can I ask a silly question?� Nathaniel asked, �What is that side used for? Is that the Virtual Reality Games?�


�That is the member�s area that precedes the Holodeck games and the locker rooms.� She said, �That area is also for specialized manual games, and utility areas for the Holodeck games.�


He nodded his head dumbly, suddenly feeling very stupid. However, the answer had confirmed his suspicion and he nodded to the beautiful cashier.


�What are the games like? Are they expensive?�


She pulled out a brochure.


�We have Twelve, holo-games located here, and they are of any type, place, era, historical, fantasy or whatever you wish to experience.� She explained, �The memberships are very reasonable. Twenty-five for limited daily access, fifty dollars for a monthly access, unlimited, and one hundred for a group access of minimum twelve people or more, up to twenty-four.�


Nathaniel was floored by the information. Here was something that he could do while he was here, and more fun than the pitiless gathering of the BBS members who really did not treat him right anyway. It would be an escape to fall back on if the party washed out for him. He nodded his head quickly and found himself impressed by the technology before him. He shook his head, remembering the gathering and what he had to do here and frowned hard, panning a quick gaze around the room.


�This is cool. It�s a hell of a lot more fun than going to a gathering of people who hate you, just because they can.� He thought. The young man turned his head and smiled at the young woman. �Fuck the gathering, if anything goes wrong I can come back here and have more fun.� He thought and nodded to the young woman, having scarcely hearing anything she had been explaining.


�Do you have to be in costume or anything?�


�Yes. Costumes are recommended for the full effect of the Virtual RPG type game.� She replied, �In fact for a special we throw in the first costume free.�


�I�ll take an unlimited membership.� Nathaniel told her, and she nodded as he handed her a card.


�What type of costume would you like?� She asked, �Soldier, Woodsman, Peasant, Adventurer, Ranger, Warrior, Barbarian, Paladin, Thief� Here is the list.�


He glanced down a long list of character costumes available and smiled.


�Paladin�� He said, and nodded.


She motioned him to the backside of the desk.


�This is Cathy. She can help you get setup with the games.� The young woman said, and Nathaniel bowed slightly to the young woman.


�Fill this out and we�ll get your card setup.�


The forms are on a clipboard, and he put in personal information, name, address, city, state, zip, height, weight, and so forth. On the RPG name, he put Rijiin L�Theil, which was a character from a story that was given to him by another college friend in the Graphics Arts Department of the college he had attended. An interesting story he had expanded upon, writing on for pleasure. Nathaniel thought of John Brewer when he put elf, brown hair, gray eyes, and a small back-story about the character. Rijiin certainly had a past full of pain and turmoil that was sort of like Garrison, the other student in John�s class who had helped him with his Aikido forms and posture.


He handed it back and she motioned to him. She quickly put in the information and after five minutes, there was a beep as a card was produced.


�This is just a standard warning. These games can cause vertigo, and seem real where they show the simulated blood, and are not recommended for people for any conditions such as heart attacks, stroke or medical conditions. They could certainly cause them if the player is not diligent for letting us know ahead of time and are at your own risk.� Cathy told him and she motioned for him to sign.


He read the warning and conditions and signed his name quickly.


�Take this voucher and pick up your costume and your weapon inside that area.� She told him and pointed to the partitioned area.


�You cannot remove the weapon from here, through the metal detectors and or bring in anything from the outside without first clearing it.� She instructed, making him nod and grin ruefully. He found himself jazzed by the shop and the games. Nathaniel chuckled, thinking of a familiar TV Show called the A-Team and B.A Barrackas, always knowing when Hannibal was on the �Jazz.�


He smiled and nodded, but also checked his watch. The gathering had already started, an hour ago. He was late but he did not really care, knowing it would go all day. Nathaniel considered not going now; something about the games seemed to compel him to stay here. He wanted to try them out first.


�Not right now.� He thought, as he walked toward the entry point to the member area, nearest to the main entrance to the store. Nathaniel found himself in an open area, and he quickly nodded to a burly guard who was dressed in armor and held a lance. The young man swiped the card and stepped through the metal detector.


�All costumes can pass here, but weapons cannot leave the premises.� The guard said, �Have a bonny trip.�


�Thanks.� Nathaniel replied, and disappeared into partition maze that made up the area. As he traversed the maze, he passed areas in relation to the Holodeck areas. The one area he stepped into is where costumes, weapons, equipment and so forth were given out or sold.


Here he picked out simple green and brown costume with boots and a belt, and hefted that of a katana blade. It had a dragon handle and a black sheath. He placed the bundle in his pack. Walking further into the area he found himself in a long hallway, and at the end were the doors to the locker rooms. Men on the left, Women on the right and opening the left door he stepped inside it. The locker room is that as any locker room. Open area with storage lockers, showers and in front of the area are benches to sit and place your stuff while one would change. It has the same septic smell as these areas had, heavy with cleanser. The lockers themselves are tall and narrow. He managed a nod in impressed silence. Taking a seat, he changed quickly and put his pack inside the locker, and hefted the weapon in his hands. Nathaniel glanced at his watch once more before opening the far door leading to the games.


�9:30� it read and he nodded.


�I promised Joe I would be there.� Nathaniel murmured, �But first, I want to check out these games.�


Here he opened the door and stepped into the lonely empty hallway beyond. Walking along there are several doors that make up four games, about ten feet apart, and beyond that at the end of the hall is a small room where other games are located in what appeared to be a staging area.


Inside the staging area are benches and tables to sit, vending machines, and food machines. On the walls are six doors. They would open and close as people entered and exited them. Looking on the young man found himself amazed by the sight.


�Alright, let�s give this a go.� He thought and stepped toward a nearby door. As he entered, he found himself inside what appeared to be a realistic area the game that sprawled out before him. Turning he glanced at what appeared to be an arch. A young girl game toward him and nodded to him before turning to the arch. On the computer screen, she fiddled with something before walking away into the simulated brush nearby. Abruptly the arch and doorway disappeared before him. He realized that it was JUST like the Holodeck games in the TV show, Star Trek the Next Generation. He wondered if somewhere in here he would meet Picard, Riker, Data, or WORF� any of the cast in here.


�Now that was weird.� Nathaniel thought as he drew the blade from the sheath at his side. Immediately he slashed out and killed an incoming monster and he felt a tap on his chest, and glancing at the monitor on his wrist he read �0�.


He realized it was VERY difficult to play and he had to exit and recharge before he could go again.


�Ah shit.� He said, looking down at the simulated blood on his tunic.


�Computer EXIT!� he said and the exit opened.


Here he glanced at his watch again and nodded.


�A little hard, but I�d better go to the gathering, on my promise.� He thought and exited through the door. He was clearly disappointed that he did not do very well in the games. He looked forward to trying again later, if the gathering washed out for him, and he decided to leave.


Returning to the locker room, he changed into his street clothes and went to the exit door into the partition maze, soon finding himself at the entry.


 �How late are you open?� He asked the guard, �I�ll be back later.�


�We are open nine to nine.� He replied and Nathaniel nodded, making a mental note definitely to return even if the party was going well. It was much more fun that being there. Exiting through the door of the Dungeon Shop, he found himself outside near the escalators. Climbing the escalators, he went to the top and began walking to the far side of the mall, past the many shops located inside the interior. When he reached Macy�s Department Store�, he paused turning his head to scan the surroundings in silence.


The area here was open as the first, but the only difference is the carrousel that was located on the ground level outside the Macy�s� entrance. Here the levels increased, a third level stairs is located here, also going to the first level of the mall. Climbing the stairs, he found himself on the third level, and walking quickly toward the JC Penny�s Department Store� side of the mall. Outside the entry of the Penny�s side, would be the same type of walkway that he entered the interior by, but the only difference is an inner entrance to the Red Robin� located here, and his destination for the gathering.


When he arrived there, he paused, taking in a breath, holding it for a moment before letting it out.


�Are you ready for this?� Nathaniel asked himself, peering at the glass doors of the Red Robin Inn�.


�I hope you are.� He muttered, and sighing deeply, that he opened the door and entered the interior of the restaurant. The interior is brightly lit, with tables, booths scattered throughout, and a counter where many stools are located for patrons to eat. He turned his head to a backroom and there was a sign that read �Synerchat BBS Gathering.�


He took a booth outside of the back room, and pulled out his writing notebook. Nathaniel had brought it to take his mind off the gathering, and jot a few notes down for his writing ability that he had as a hobby. He was ignored by the other BBSers who had come to the gathering, and stood nearby, knowing fully well he was there. Lithium, Mike, Monte, and Chelle and several others had seen him enter, and on their face was a scowl, realizing who it was who had arrived.


Joe smiled seeing his friend, but the others were not thrilled that he was here.


�Oh geeze, Varden the asshole is here.� Chelle whispered, �Why the fuck does he bother showing up to these things, when he wasn�t invited�� Whispered words followed between her and the others.


Nearby Joe shook his head politely, ignoring the others for a moment, ready to walk over there, but he had three others talking with him, making it impossible to break away to greet his long time school chum.


Two hours elapsed and Nathaniel sat alone the whole time at this gathering. No one had come to speak with him the entire time or interact with him. Fed up, the young man finally stood up, packed his bag and walked boldly to the entrance of the walkway leading to the mall interior.


Lithium, Chelle and the others saw him leaving.


�What the hell? Wait, where�s he going?� Monte asked.


The trio saw him heading for the door.


�Thank god.� A voice said.

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  21 

 

 

Copyright © 2019 Nathaniel A Miller
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"