Hot & Horrifying: The First Ladies Of Horror (1)
Iron Dave

 

                        Hot & Horrifying: The 1st Ladies of Horror / By David Byron













































Hot & Horrifying: The 1st Ladies of Horror / By David Byron
Produced by
NVF Film Productions
http://wickedkittyproductions.webs.com
911 Nicholas
Vincennes , Indiana 47591
www.freewebs.com/nvhmag1









































                                                        Acknowledgments:

Edited by David Byron & Nicole Kruex
Book cover design by Nicole Kruex
Rachel Grubb photos:
Sailor Girl / photo by Joshua Lemon
Bloody Prom Dress / photo by Heidi Shubb
Liz Adams Photo by Matthew A Cooke





































Contents:
Scream Queen Overview
Comments
Interviews
1st Ladies profiles
Tribute to Brinke Stevens
Afterword / by Iron Dave

Nicole Kruex � star of Zen: Hunter and Funland
Rachel Grubb / star of Terror Overload and 13 Hours In A Warehouse
Chainsaw Sally Star and co-creator April Burril
Michelle Tomlinson / Star of The Cellar Door & Brain Dead
Writer/Director Michelle Fatale
Denise Gossett/ Star of Decaying Orbit and festival Director of Shriekfest
Shannon Lark/ Actress of Walking Distance and CEO of Chainsaw Mafia
Liz Adams / Director of Side Effect
Scarlet Salem/ Star of Terror Overload & Killer Biker Chicks
FX artist Megan Areford
Elaine Lamkin / Writer/interviewer/ Dread Central
Dai Green- columnist for Horrornews.net
Melanie Robel / star of Alien Vengeance
Julie Anne � star of Slices
Maureen ''Mo'' Whelan / Producer and star of Client 14
Teri McMinn / star of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Teresa Fahs / Director, FX artist
Judy Cerda / star of The Forbidden Island
Brooke Lewis/ Owner Philly Chick Pictures/Actress/Producer/Ms.Vampy/KinkyKillers/iMurders
Actress/model Mikki Lawless
Lillith Stabs / star of Vampire Call Girls and Bad Movie Police
The Lonely Ones star Devanny Pinn
Suzi Lorraine /Gorezone Magazine columnist and star and co-producer of "Won Ton Baby!".
Debbie Rochon / host of Fangoria Radio on Sirius/XM and star of over a hundred horror films including COLOUR FROM THE DARK and AMERICAN NIGHTMARE.
Zoe Chlanda / star of Cynthia's Revenge
Cyndi Crotts / actress of Slip Of the Tongue
Lissa Slasher / star of His Name Was Jason
Albino Farm star / Bianca Barnett
Tara Cardinal / star of Legend Of the Red Reaper
Victoria DeMare / star of Werewolf In A Women's Prison
Monique Dupree / star of Bachelor Party In the Bungalow Of the Damned







                               Hot & Horrifying: A Scream Queen Overview


Hollywood 'Scream Queens' have been around since Mary Philbin, Brigitte Helm and Theda Bara captivated silent screen audiences in the 1920s. When Helen Chandler screeched and swooned into the arms of Bela Lugosi in 'Dracula'(1931) - the first sound horror film - a new era of scream queens was born. And in every decade since, they have found new ways to fire our imagination and keep us coming back for more.
The scream genre developed in the 1920s through the science fiction era of the 1950s. But in the decades that followed, a new generation of screamers emerged. And, like their predecessors, autograph material for these queens of horror is available in a wide range of formats and prices.

                            The 1960s: Genesis of the Modern Scream Queen

       The modern scream queen - a woman just as comfortable screaming as making others scream, slammed onto the screen in the Italian-made Black Sundqy (1960). Her name: Barbara Steele. She was the first woman to become a horror star in her own right, ranking with the greatest of the Titans of Terror, until then an all-male bastion. Steele started a cult craze that horror film producers exploited all over the globe. A British journalist explained Steele's attraction: "She is the only girl in films whose eyelids snarl."
Following Black Sunday, the British-born Steele starred in The Pit and the Pendulum (1961), Castle of Blood (1962), Nightmare Castle (1965), The Long Hair of Death (1967) and Curse of the Crimson Altar (1968). With her exotic beauty, large dark eyes and cold laugh, Steele's screen persona oozed fear and seductiveness.
As close to a "Scream Goddess" as one can get, Steele is a must for collectors of horror autographs. Unfortunately, her signature is not common, and a SP can command $75 or more. A very private person, she seldom responds to mail requests. Your best bet is to search dealer catalogs. One scream queen that readers might overlook is the stuffed corpse of Norman Bates' mother in the Alfred Hitchcock photo-slasher flick, Psycho (1960) - a truly disturbing film, even by today's standards. Janet Leigh and Vera Miles may come to mind first for the film (both have gladly signed through the mail), but it's "Mother" - as voiced by Jeanette Nolan, Virginia Gregg and Paul Jasmin - who rules the set as one of the most evil characters ever to haunt the screen. Gregg also gave voice to "Mother" in two sequels, Psycho II (1982) and Psycho III (1983). For the final chapter of the Bates saga, Psycho IV: The Beginning (1990), British actress Olivia Hussey played Norma Bates with maniacal gusto.
Across the Atlantic, Hammer Films continued to give us scream queens in Barbara
Shelley, Raquel Welch, Ursula Andress (as She in 1965), Veronica Carlson and Linda Hayden. Most of these ladies are excellent signers and will oblige requests through the mail.
The '60s also saw many veteran actresses re-making themselves as scream queens, most importantly Bette Davis in Whatever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962) and Hush Hush ... Sweet Charlotte (1965), and Joan Crawford in Strait- Jacket (1964). Both of these stars' signatures are available in various formats and prices.
Finally, like many a young boy in the late '60s, I would often rush home from school to turn on America's favorite Gothic soap opera, Dark Shadows. On my mind and breathless puppy love imaginings was actress Lara Parker, or even better, her evil witch-vampiress Angelique. Parker was the scream queen of television at that time. She may not have had as rabid a following as Barnabas, the 200-year-old vampire played by Jonathan Frid, but guys adored her ... from a safe distance, of course! Lara makes frequent guest appearances at conventions and Dark Shadows reunions. She is just as beautiful in person, and a beautiful signer as well!

                                         The 70s: Carry-on Screaming!

 

 

Go to part:2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17 

 

 

Copyright © 2009 Iron Dave
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"