No More Stalling: Part Ii
Shelley J Alongi

 

I’ve had some time to remember some of the things I forgot to include in my recounting of flight number two. I like to write my first impressions directly after they are experienced so I can capture the essence of the moment. Here are my later observations.

Communication is the Key

There was a lot more communication this time between my pilot and me. When I had called a week earlier to set up the date and he had called me back finding me in a rare moment at home he had mentioned the fact that I had trouble with the headsets on the first flight. Now I don’t know if this guy takes notes or if he’s just better than your average bear because I swear some people I know barely remember my name and here he is remembering (1) that I wanted to have lunch at the airport which I did not do and (2) that we had trouble with the headsets. Perhaps because I wasn’t answering his questions on the first flight he might have remembered that. I just remember the first time sitting beside him being kind of tense just thinking oh this is what it’s all about, eh, and trying to hear what was going on and missing most of it. I just remember telling him after the first flight that I had trouble with hearing him. So we made sure I could hear him this time. I actually did hear most of what he said. Sometimes the headsets cut in and out clipping the first syllable of a word so I had to do some fill-in. Anyway, so we were bopping our merry way along and he asked me if I had ever been to Catalina because it was thirty miles away from us and we could see it. Yes, I did tell him I had been to Catalina. What I didn’t tell him because of the noise and the cutting out was that when I was about twenty-two years old I went to Catalina with a group and one Friday afternoon a bunch of us hiked over from the camp side to the civilization side. I remember that was so rewarding, climbing over that big mountain and walking around and getting in to the boat and going back across to the rocky side of the island. So yes I’ve actually been to Catalina twice. I believe that mountain is called Scarface Mountain, or was when I climbed it. I’m not sure I could climb it now although I’d sure give it a shot though it might take a little longer!

So I was very glad to know that I could hear him. Here’s the part about the communications that struck me later as amusing. When he was talking to me about the stall and different things I would turn my head so that I could look at him as if I could read his lips to make sure I understood what was said. It was almost as if I thought if I leaned a little closer (any closer and I’d be in personal space) I would hear him more clearly. If I had been four miles or four inches away the volume (unless manually changed) would have remained the same. You had to just *be there to get the picture! * I did actually have to concentrate on what he was saying. Most times if I am in a lecture or a sermon (oops don’t tell anyone this), I’m usually daydreaming or something unless I am actually moving my hands and writing something down. I had to concentrate and really focus sometimes on what he said.

My turn, Thank You!

Twice he asked me if I knew which direction we were turning. I had to really think about that. But I got it right both times. The times when I turned the plane I couldn’t help but think of a discussion my boss and I had two weeks ago about unseen air traffic. I’ve rarely been given the opportunity to drive let alone fly a plane even if it was just a closely monitored turn. You know in drivers education or in real life they say drive with both hands. Pilots steer with one hand. The movements are so much easier, at least now. In those military planes like the B-24 before life got more technical, steering the plane wasn’t always so easy! I wasn’t quite sure I was turning far enough. But I do have to say when I’m involved in something it has to be with heart and hands and head, and all three were there!

Ready Set, Go!

When Todd and I were walking out to the plane we were actually holding a conversation. It’s kind of funny I remember I came out of the restroom and he was standing in the lobby and I said:

“Are you ready?”

As if suddenly twenty-something years had gone back and mom and dad were asking if I was ready to go somewhere, as if instead of getting into a little plane and climbing to 3500 AGL we were simply taking the family car to the car wash or something. Even though I was a little anxious and exhilarated and thinking finally I did it, it still seemed the most natural thing to do.
Who Was That masked Man?

Todd is the instructor, by the way. Perhaps I should stop referring to him as the nameless instructor and actually attach an identity to him. He is twenty-six probably, has brown hair and hazel eyes, and stands five feet ten inches. He told me once in an email that he sometimes went on backpacking trips. He is kind of a serious guy, I think, its kind of hard to tell these things about people after just two meetings. He seems focused, a lot more focused than some people I know do. He seems very intelligent. Someone told me he is an excellent instructor. I can see that. He doesn’t have a lack of words, he can certainly hold his own in a social situation it seems, but I wouldn’t call his style flashy or flamboyant, probably more like steady. It seems as if that would be a good way to describe him. He doesn’t seem too excitable. When the red light went on in the plane he just calmly said okay we’re heading back to Fullerton and he made sure I knew that the plane would be fine. Of course I knew that because I had read so much about it, but I really appreciated the fact that he told me because anyone who didn’t know those things might worry a bit.

When we were in the air and he was trying to establish communication with Los Al he suddenly realized after there was no response that it was Monday and that Los Al was closed and wouldn’t allow PAR that day. He was kind of like oh I can’t believe I did that! It was funny because he had sounded kind of excited when we were on the phone when he said we could do one of those approaches.

“Yeah, we could keep your skills up,” I said.

He’s had nine students pass their check rides. I think that he has kept up his skills!

Nervous! Who? Me?

When we got back to the airport he told me I did fine during the stalls. The engine winds down, the air current shifts, the plane bucks and drops. That engine really wants to start spinning, creating lift, but he wouldn't let it. It’s kind of a funny feeling when that little plane bucks. It’s not quite the same as hitting turbulence in a jet plane. It’s more direct. Well anyway the first time it bucked I was kind of expecting it because Todd said it would do that. The second time we stalled the plane the bucking motion was harder or came faster or something. It kind of took my breath away. When we got back to the airport he told me that some people get nervous during the stalls. He said I did fine. Two things contributed to my calm demeanor: (1) I knew we could recover it (2) when he had his hands stretched out to the yoke his left arm was on my right forearm. My right hand was in my lap. There is little room in a c172 cockpit, there is much more room between driver and passenger in the 1967 VW Beetle, so some touching is inevitable because of the smallness of the cabin. Somehow that day in that moment I found that slight touch very comforting. I was nervous, but I trusted him to be able to recover the plane. If I had been unable to safely trust the instructor I may have been more nervous. Trust is very important in any kind of relationship whether it is child to parent or pilot to passenger. Given the environment of the C172s’ cockpit where communication is vital it seems that anything that can be done to enhance the trust level is integral to lessening the strain on one’s nerves.

What **Are** You Doing!

Most people think I am crazy because I wanted to stall the plane. One lady who read my story said it gave her the “heebee jeebees.” She said I was absolutely out of my mind! Perhaps I am.

A stall is not quite like being on a roller coaster. It’s a little more serious than that. The funny thing is when it’s all over and everything is back in control, I want to do it again.

Please, please, please?

This Is Easy!

Remember in the first flight the contact between passenger and pilot was more aloof. This time there was precedent. Okay, we’ve been here, done this, we know what we’re about here. Contact was by all means professional, something I really respect, was brought up to expect and was taught to be, but there was a marked difference. Of course it didn’t hurt that I had kept in constant contact with him advising him that I was preparing for another flight, and asking a zillion questions. Even though I was a bit anxious about the flight I noticed that I was much more relaxed when I got into the plane. In the first flight I just sat stiffly, taking it all in, but this time I was much more relaxed, more familiar with the plane, more relaxed about being there. Hey I was tenser the next day recording a piano track for a song. When I finished playing the song and Craig turned off the recording equipment I could feel my hands unclenching. I was less nervous about flying than doing something I was much more familiar with: playing piano. I know part of it is my personality: being the perfectionist I am I want everything to go just right! It usually does! I have truly found something I enjoy: hopping into a small plane! Bring Em On!
 

 

 

Copyright © 2003 Shelley J Alongi
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"