Reflective Essay On Classroom Discipline
Randall Barfield

 

     The past academic year my school's vice-rector brought to my attention his concerns that I was too lax in discipline. It was contract-renewal time and, although my contract was renewed for a third year, it was done so with an admonition. The lax was communicated to him in two ways: It was the primary principal's opinion, and it showed up in the teacher evaluation poll conducted by the principal using forty fourth graders. (TC--I never heard of a teacher being evaluated by students who are in 4th grade!) As there are four different groups in fourth grade, ten students from each group were selected. How the ten were chosen I don't know. However, I am still curious and will probably ask in some discreet manner later. (TC--Yes, how were they chosen? What were they asked?)
     All teachers are evaluated in some form by the students in most private schools in this South American country as of late. I do not know it these evaluations occur in the public schools. In the case of the "American-oriented" schools in this country(Author--I should have used the term bilingual-English schools in the article), I think I am correct in saying they have not been implemented. Should they be used in the future, I, of course, will not be surprised. Additionally, whether or not US students evaluate their teachers, be it public or private school, I also do not know. An interesting question is whether or not student evaluations of teachers are appropriate and, if so, of what value. (TC--Exactly. This is a theoretical question which apparently needs to be discussed in this country: Can a 9-year-old evaluate a teacher? I don't think so.) As this paper is not about evaluation of teachers, I cannot continue discussing this issue here. Let me make two or three comments more in this regard and stop. Four fourth-grade teachers(out of nine) got together with the principal to create the questions on the evaluation form. (TC--Why weren't subject teachers like yourself there?) These teachers were the group directors, counterparts to homeroom teachers in the US. The rest of us do not have groups to direct but arrive to class and teach our subjects. All questions on my evaluation were not answered negatively by the students, and for the principal, the salient issue was discipline. (TC--So, in other words, who cares if kids learn as long as they obey? This is a "loaded" subject and NOT one you expect to be "fair" about. They are kids. They go with what feels good or doesn't.) Since I also teach adults at a university, let me point out that past evaluations by those students have, for the most part, been either very good, overall, to excellent. What say then? My teenage daughter advised me to teach only adults and forget about the rest! (TC--Well, what say then? This school as you've told is not the best place?)

     Now that the issue is established, the responses must be dealt with. First, I must accept blame myself in responding. This is not an easy thing to do but, in the long run and in view of improving, I think it necessary. (TC--Probably) Furthermore, I have to think very seriously about my attitude upon returning to school in mid-August. A plus is that I am quite well-liked by most of my colleagues and students, if I may be a bit immodest. (TC--Please be)
     I think back to my mother here and cannot help but to compare myself some with her. (TC--Of course) Practically everyone adores mom, but I can see where she would have had the same problem I am having had she taught school. The root lies partly in personality. She did not evoke good discipline in us kids yet we are attached to her today more than ever. (TC--How are you defining this? How is the principal defining this?) We did not take her threats seriously. Where my dad was concerned, it was quite a different story. He rarely had to repeat his orders or instructions in those days. Of course, he also used corporal punishment. One of the keys here, I think, is that he did not allow things "to slide." He took action where mom didn't. This is know as nipping in the bud. (TC--However, I also know you like your job. This is the idea of being consistent.) Most of the problem last year was with rowdy boys. To insert a vein of humor, perhaps I should consider an all-girls' school! (TC--Why not? However, high school girls are difficult people to deal with, I think.) I realize I allowed too much talking while I was talking or a student was. The principal, after a supervisory visit, suggested stopping the class to establish order again. I did not do this soon enough habitually, but by March, I was, and the results began improving. (TC--So, it doesn't matter if kids have fun or are actively involved in learning--they just need to be "orderly"? March is relatively late. I can see the principal being upset.)

     My classes need to be more dynamic, I think. But how much? Dynamism certainly existed when we sometimes went outside to have spelling contests over words we'd covered in a particular unit in the geography text. Also, for oral review before a written quiz took place, I tossed a tennis ball and the student who missed the toss had to try and answer the question. (TC--Maybe you're having too much fun with the kids.) Most of the class liked this break from routine immensely. The problem was, instead of only the teacher being dynamic, everybody was! The kids got really excited. It was difficult for me to keep the noise level down. These and similar activities were occasionally engaged in, however. Most of the activities and lessons throughout the year involved students' reading, note-taking, answering questions over topics, mapwork, writing, and completing assignments in pairs. Perhaps here I can mention that not only was I attempting to teach geography, but English--EFL--to boot. My school is not fully bilingual in the sense that students can converse in English nearly as well as native speakers. Their abililties to express English orally are severely limited while at the elementary level. As such, I often felt my task was doubly "challenging." I tried to vary our types of lessons as much as possible during the year without getting away from the textbook completely.

     How to teach certain subjects dynamically? I need to learn more here. I keep visualizing a sort of "entertainer" instead of a teacher. (TC--How are you defining this word now? If your classes are geared toward the language principles, would they be dynamic?) The principal said the students needed to be kept enthralled and have their mouths agape. (TC--Yet, she/he wants the quiet?) Here, I picture the circus. Is it realistic to see children engaged as such every class all year long? (TC--I don't know.) Nonetheless, I will blame myself for not having been dynamic enough. Dynamism probably has much to do with personality also. Does my personality need modifying? (TC--In my opinion, of course not.) Can one modify one's personality significantly or just enough to fit the need?

     Respect. If students are misbehaving, can we say they lack respect for the teacher? (TC--No, we can say they are kids.) I need to read more in this area for I have an unresolved conflict regarding the concept of respect. (TC--Look at Cantor's "Assertive Discipline.") My dad and wife would say respect is demanded, therefore obtained by force. Somewhere in my growing up, I developed the concept that respect was earned. For a long time I thought only that. (TC--Your dad also comes from a different time AND culture, respectively, than perhaps you do.) Now I'm beginning to think that it is perhaps a bit of both, that respect is earned generally, but needs to be insisted upon in circumstances where it is indispensable--such as the classroom. (TC--Yes. Dare I suggest that you ARE a teacher and you are an American. This is an American value of our generation.) Here again I have been guilty of not ensuring on a consistent basis that respect be observed by everyone in the classroom. Perhaps it helps here to be a fighter in life. My wife and dad would be considered fighters. I would be considered definitely NOT a fighter. This is more to my chagrin, I might add. (TC--I'd imagine. Why fight if you don't need to?)

     Alter egos or counterparts. I know I am guilty of paying too much attention to mischievous boys and girls. The Vice-rector said to ignore them in the classroom. This advice is also given in various chapters of books I have read lately on discipline. (TC--What are you reading?) One is to deal with these students outside of class individually. I realize that my paying attention to them and their shenanigans served to reinforce their behavior. They achieved and received from me what they were seeking. This is a stragegy I agree with and one which I will have to work diligently on. One of the problems is my admiration for my alter ego. I was a good, polite student at school. These mischievous students oftentimes excel at sports and are, in general, "go-getters" in life. Perhaps this is the type of person I would really like to be; hence, the admiration. The implications are worth considering, I think. Do I like myself? (TC--I'd say yes. If not, you wouldn't be so likeable or so liked.) Can we really answer this question ourselves accurately? I know I am trying to like myself and have been working toward this end for many years. It's a bit sad that in some ways I was not TAUGHT to like myself during childhood. (TC--Several of us weren't partly because we were expected to be "orderly" rather than being kids, so there is a dilemma.)

     Feelings. I know I felt really deflated when I left school June 30. It was not so much the admonition over discipline as another remark the Vice-rector made. He said, "You chose to be a teacher." (TC--How does this man define teacher?) In other words, some of the things that come to mind are the following: So, make it work; what's the problem? Conform or else; take more care with the choices you make; did you think teaching was nothing? and others. (TC--Perhaps this is what he meant.)

     Discipline Master. High school division has a discipline master and, I think, a rather good one. (TC--Exactly.) Why can't elementary have one? And elementary has the most students! I suggested this to the elementary principal, not telling her she looked harried(TC--Ha!) usually. Hers is a position where the school is trying to squeeze too much out of a single paycheck. She must meet with parents upon request, teachers, the administration, counsel teachers, answer the phone herself(TC--What?), fill out paperwork and turn in reports to the Vice-rector and academic secretary, (TC--This doesn't make sense.), have lunch, go to the powder room, and who knows how many other obligations. Besides all this, she's got two kids of her own. Perhaps it is fortunate the husband is or seems to be out of the picture. I don't mean to sound harsh here but one must see all this to believe it. Staffing is at a minimum. My school is basically the same size as another prestigious bilingual school in the city. That school has four principals(under a director), each of whom has an assistant and at least one secretary. And the service staff. I've never seen maids work so hard in my life. When I observe the maids at the other "richer" school, it seems they lie in a lap of luxury. I'll stop here for I have digressed, but I'm trying also to paint a picture as complete and accurate as possible. (TC--Yes. An excellent picture.)

     Classes physically. I have usually thirty-five students each out of four third-grade groups and thirty each out of four fourth-grade groups--approximately two hundred-sixty students. Each group receives three class periods(forty-five minutes) of my subject per week. These figures add up to ninety class periods during the year or one hundred, eighty for both grades. Should I plan two to three minilessons for each class period(which would be less boring than one lesson per period), I'd need to plan from three to four hundred minilessons for the year. I see a physical impossibility here. What I CAN do and plan for the next year is to devise certain activities that will occur routinely, such as implementing some of Graves' writing ideas. (TC--Yes, a good idea. Can you integrate with the other teachers? Because as you note, how possible is that. Maybe you can have the kids do different activities!) I'm eager to try these, although I'm worried about how much of the students' writings I will be able to read. (TC--Maybe you can do one class per week and therefore cut down on the reading.) Any corrections will have to be "wholesale," that is, done on the board out loud for everybody. Maybe that has its advantages. Considering this, reality is what I have to deal with, not the ideal. (TC--Yes.)

     Acquaintanceship. After reading the first few chapters in Graves' book, I feel that I'm not getting to know the students well enough. I don't really take the time to listen to their ideas and experiences. I'm convinced when Graves talks about LEARNING FROM THEM. (TC--Yes, but to be fair, where do you have the time?) Probably better than anybody, they will help the instruction along if only I'll just LISTEN and elicit THEIR ideas. One thing is certain: As long as I'm there next year, those kids are going to read and write as never before. Of course, once again, we must break routine now and then for sanity's sake. (TC--Excellent. Keep me informed as to their progress and yours.)

     I suppose I could go on and on about the discipline matter or about this or that shortcoming the schools has(the gardens are really beautiful). (TC--I love the humor.) However, as I am more interested in my performance and in identifying where modifications are needed, I must conclude that it is I who must adapt to the circumstances surrounding me. (TC--I must admit this appears to be the case...How sad! Compromise should be two ways as the problem is ALSO the school!) Although I felt happier when the principal before last said, "You are NOT the only teacher with discipline problems. It is convenient for some of the teachers to pretend they have none." It's too bad this principal left the school. I felt really closer to her.
   
     To be honest, I must accept my guilt and concede that I do, in fact, have discipline problems with my students. I hope by implementing some of the abovementioned ideas and strategies, plus others to be discovered, to improve measurably as a teacher and classroom manager. If one can manage ten, why not forty? (TC--Because 40 brings 400X more work! I don't know.) I really enjoy the interaction I have with elementary students and can say truthfully that I care deeply for them as fellow human beings. (TC--Obviously you do! And for me, this is what matters!)


     Postscript: Basically, six years have now passed. I left the school discussed above and began teaching at an all-girls' school(I had a small "connection".) where I was very happy. Three years later, I left that school and began teaching parttime at another. Today I teach parttime at a university and parttime at an all-girls' school that isn't bilingual. The girls(fourth and fifth graders) take four hours of English per week. Of course, discipline is much better where only girls are concerned, though not perfect. The troublesome boys who had difficulty with ESL at the old school presented the biggest problem. It isn't a perfect world, but I am happier today than at the old school. Thanks for reading. Bye.
      
      

 

 

Copyright © 2002 Randall Barfield
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"