Heading For The Stars
Xie

 

Prologue

"Tonrar, welcome to the Star Blaze!" Tonrar was staring at a fiery vortex. It swirled with stars and glittered peacefully as he placed his tiny paw on it. He was still cub fluffy and he was just learning to become a true tribe bear. He was only strong enough to hunt birds, hares, and small seals, and his claws were too short to inflict any large damage. So, he was dreaming. Suddenly the portal was spinning faster and faster until a strong, sucking wind was pulling him closer and closer. He wailed for help, and almost called out for his mother before he realized only cubs did that. "No!" He thought, his mind whirling as thoughts poured in from both turbulent sides. "I'm not a cub!" Tonrar's mind was shrieking in protest as he thought of Kiinaq and Ikima. He was suddenly sucked into the Star Blaze. He growled and cried out as he slipped into his ancestor's territory. "I am a true tribe bear!"

Chapter 1

Tonrar sighed as he stared at the sea. The dark water was frothing and churning. It reminded him of their previous leader, Kiinaq. Kiinaq had given up his life to save him from an orca that had tried to swallow him. Kiinaq had uttered mysterious words as he tumbled into the jaws of the killer whale. "A young one will rise to become the greatest of all." Tonrar understood now. He had remembered his prophetic dream from when he was sleeping on the ice next to Kiinaq. He had been warped from the Star Blaze to the Moon Lands, the hunting grounds of his ancient ancestors. He had seen his deceased sister, Nuna, and his recently killed mother, Ikima, who had drowned in a vague attempt to save him. Kiinaq and Ikima had both given up their lives to save him, and only recently had Imiq been killed by a hostile brown bear while defending him. Tonrar was shaken. "Is this the beginning of my great destiny? A curse?"

Chapter 2

Tonrar's successor, Uumatik, ran into his den. "Taqqiq and Siqiniq are missing!" He panted, clearly anxious. Worry found a place in Tonrar's amber eyes. The two had been grieving over Kiinaq harshly, and had almost decided to leave the tribe. Only when Tonrar had told them Kiinaq wouldn't want that to happen had they continued to journey. Had they decided to leave now? Tonrar shook his head, trying to stay calm. "Uumatik, lead a search party consisting of Siku and Ittuluk to the Bramble Forest! Tell Ukiuq to lead another with Ulluq and Ikaqraq to the Horizon Beach. Also have a patrol of Ikuma and Isuma with Anuri leading. They'll head to the Barren Moor. All of you will meet up at the Snowy Mountain at sundown and search there. I will go on a solo mission to the faraway Flat Prairie." He had recently over heard Taqqiq and Siqiniq whimpering in sorrow about the plains, and he wanted to confront them alone. But he had sent out other patrols to nearby places incase the two had just gone out for a patrol or a walk together. He was relieved when Uumatik nodded without questioning his orders and lumbered out of his den. Tonrar sighed as he started the long journey to the Flat Prairies. Did Kiinaq make the right choice?

Chapter 3

Tonrar trekked up the steep mountain, climbing up the frosted rock. He had intended to reach Ivy Cave and go through there, but he remembered how the tunnels flooded with too much water. It had begun raining, and his paws occasionally slipped as he clambered up the slick stone. Luckily, though, he never slid down the snowy slope. By sundown he had entered Star Forest."Good." He thought with heavy relief as he slinked past trees and padded past bushes. "All my scent will be gone by now." He suddenly burst into a clearing. A silver birch was glowing in the middle. A white bear was sitting underneath it's sparkling branches, heavy with dew. The bear's fur shimmered with stars. "Welcome, Tonrar, to the Moon Tree." Tonrar recognized Kiinaq's voice. "Kiinaq!" Tonrar rumbled delightedly. Kiinaq growled joyfully back. "Yes. It is me, Kiinaq. Touch your nose to the Moon Tree's bark." Tonrar was confused, but nodded. He placed the tip of his muzzle through a crevice in the gnarled bark and closed his eyes. He saw a ginger she cat and a blue tom racing across a moor. "Siqiniq and Taqqiq!" He saw the Flat Prairie stretch out before the two, and they were headed towards a gorse bush. Tonrar gasped as the vision ended. Kiinaq looked at him, his eyes worried. "My mother, Azalea, has recently joined me in the Moon Lands. Leopard, Claw, and Flash won't notice it's Droplet and Robin, but Silver might. I need you to come to all of them in a dream..." His voice faded away as Tonrar entered the dream world of Kiinaq's family.

Chapter 4

Tonrar was watching from a sparse laurel bush. Through the leaves he noticed Silver. She was gazing in horror as Leopard, Flash, and Claw attacked Taqqiq and Siqiniq. Tonrar leapt forward to intercept the attack. Suddenly, as he leapt into view, he felt himself changing. Rippling muscles replaced his smaller, scrawnier ones and his legs grew long. His claws lengthened and his body grew, his white, fluffy fur being replaced into a ginger pelt. With a jolt of pure amazement, he realized he was changing into the form of Kiinaq!

Chapter 5

Flash, Claw, and Leopard backed away as he landed in front of them. He snarled at them, but he felt himself speaking with Kiinaq's voice. "You are attacking Droplet and Robin!" Claw, Leopard and Flash gasped. "You mean... you mean I attacked my own kits?" Leopard stuttered, and he glanced at Taqqiq and Siqiniq before turning to Tonrar again. "Kiinaq... I'm- I'm sorry..." Tonrar shook his head. "Rid yourself of your guilt. Even fathers don't always recognize their kits. I am sorry. Kiinaq is dead." The trio was clearly stunned. Flash seemed t refuse to believe it. "Oh yeah?" He challenged. "Then why are you here, Kiinaq." Tonrar gritted his teeth. How difficult was this going to be. He felt himself changing back into his own body. He looked bold and brave as he glared at them, his eyes narrowed into courageous slits. He felt himself leaving their dream as he spoke. "Because I am the new leader of his tribe. I am Tonrar..."

Chapter 6

Tonrar woke with a jolt. He was no longer beside the Moon Tree, but nesting next to a laurel bush. He stared through the leaves, and saw a gorse bush den. Inside the branches, he saw Flash and Leopard tussling with Taqqiq and Siqiniq. Beside them, Claw and Silver were grooming two newborn kittens. One was a gray she cat with silver tabby stripes and ivy green eyes, while the other was a tuxedo tom with a piercing amber stare. Tonrar sighed. Everything was how it was meant to be.

Series 4: Book 1: Bear Battle

Bonus scene! The Fang and the Star: Abandoned by Death

A gray kitten bundled into her brother. She pinned the tuxedo tom kit before he could react. "Got you, Fang!" Fang suddenly gasped and went limp. The she kit was shocked, and let her grip slacken. Fang pushed up explosively and launched himself into the stunned she kit, barreling into her exposed chest. They fell over in a flailing bundle of legs and fur. When they broke free, they were panting. Fang spoke first. "You're so easy to trick, Star!" Star hissed playfully back. "And you're so easily pinned!" She emphasized "you're". Fang snarled playfully. "Is that a challenge, you soft she cat?" Star gasped in mock indignation. "Why yes, you arrogant tom!" They leapt at each other again with sheathed claws, battering at the other with moss soft paws. Silver purred as she looked at her two kits. "They're little fighters already!" Claw grumbled lightheartedly beside her. "But they don't have any manners. They woke me up, like you." Silver gaped in mock indignation. "I don't wake you up, you grumpy lump of fur and bones!" Claw looked up at her, amusement shining in his sky blue eyes. "They're also just as feisty as you." The two purred and twined tails. Just then, a shadow fell over the four.

Silver gasped as a massive badger's paw clawed her shoulder. Claw immediately growled and leapt at the badger. The badger roared in fury and shook Claw aside. As Claw landed, the badger pinned him with a hind paw and grabbed the kits in his mouth. Silver snarled threateningly and leapt onto the massive muzzle. The badger went out, dropping the frightened Star and the angry Fang, and at the same time, slashed Claw open from head to tail with his hind claws. Claw's eyes went blank and he fell, limp. As he did so, Claw called out to Silver. "I love you."

Star, Fang and Silver cried out in horror as Claw was pulled into death's grasp. Star and Fang called out a warning, but it was no use. The badger had clamped his jaws on Silver's throat. Star nudged Claw frantically. "Please help her!" She had hoped Claw's spirit would help her, and she noticed Fang had hoped the same, but Claw's blank gaze stared at her heartlessly. Star glittering star in his eyes told her, "Silver will meet me soon..." The badger drove his fangs into her panting throat. Blood welled up in her neck and gushed out her massive wound as she collapsed. Star felt Silver feel pain like no other, then lingering agony, then feel death also claim Silver's heartbroken soul.

 

 

Copyright © 2014 Xie
Published on the World Wide Web by "www.storymania.com"