www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Short Stories - Reviews




Short Stories Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

Specimen by Roald E Peterson Iii (1)
"Reminds me very much of the various Retief adventures that I always enjoyed. Good description of the aliens and their habitat, especially adding the smells of things. Noticed a typo or two, but overall was a short, fun story." -- Nola, West Point, UT, United States.


Insomnia by Jeremy Lee Henderson (10)
"This is a superb piece of writing. It grips you from the very first sentence and unfolds steadily and elegantly to a most disturbing ending that nevertheless ties everything neatly together. It has a haunted, dark and obsessive atmosphere and a quality of genuine dementia that makes it extremely memorable. I look forward to reading more of your work. " -- David Gardiner, London, England.
"Great! Try writing about frogs, that should be funny." -- Ivana Milakovic.
"This story is visually and emotionally haunting - a wonderful collection of nightmare images that avoid both the obvious and the banal, combining freshness of approach (no tired old cliches here) with the ability to remain uncomfortably in the memory. More please." -- maximmise.
"This reminds me of Hawthorne & Poe. A lot of Romantics, Wordsworth especially, deal with this idea of specters and other-worldly inspiration with an set time limit. Wordsworth seemed to think you felt these voices when you were young and lost them as you got older. You seem to suggest that the voices themselves sustain youth. That's an interesting take on it. I like the ideas behind this story. It was formed with a clear purpose and structure. That's not easy to do. Some people just ramble, like me. What's a little off-putting is that the narrator is kind of flat. We don't find out much about him personally, what he likes, dislikes, and why? The best points are when you get into the specifics about these voices. It's gosh darn near good poetry. I'd like to hear you write a poem on the same topic with the same tone. That would be sweet. Thanks for letting me blab. " -- Scott W. Hazzard, PB, New York.
"Absolutely haunting and wonderful- and so relevant to fellow writers. One of the absolute best I have found anywhere on the internet." -- Ellen Lauder, Calgary, Canada.
"Im not a literary critic, but I know what I like. And I liked this." -- Miss Jackie, Milwaukee, WI, USA.
"This one is about as good as it gets. A little gem. Powerful imagery perfectly handled. Would make a wonderful introduction to a book of short stories. Everyone visiting the site should be directed to this one first." -- Krist, Paderborn, Germany.
"Fantastic. His dearest wish became his worst nightmare. This struck me as like hostages who become involved with their captors. Cope with something for long enough and you not only become accustomed to it, but you can't do without it. Nice one. Oh and the best opening para I've read for a while. " -- Sooz, Dalton, Cumbria, England.
"Absolutely hypnotic ... especially loved the ending. Your writing belongs on the pages of a book at the top of the best seller's list !!!!!" -- Judith Goff, USA.
"Definitely the most engaging piece I've read on here. Brilliant description" -- jl watts.


The Day The Rain Stopped by Jeremy Lee Henderson (7)
""The Day The Rain Stopped" is a practically haunting piece about death, and how to a degree, it excites a community, More importantly, the story examines how an unexplained death impacts two people (so to speak), who are directly linked." -- Loren Di Iorio, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
"I enjoyed this piece enormously. I thought it was outstandingly well-written, intense, highly atmospheric, powerful and direct, while remaining both economical and unpretentious in its language. I have seen greatly inferior pieces of writing take major prizes in competitions. The author has a rare gift, that of understatement. He says just enough to get the reader's imagination engaged but not enough to stifle it. There is an open-ended and universal quality to the writing that is characteristic of a major talent. " -- David Gardiner, London, England.
"Absolutely Awesome! Makes me want to trash everything I have ever written!!!" -- Monte, USA.
"Wonderful piece. I was completely hooked. :)" -- Christina, USA.
"Again, I am not a literary critic. I like this very much. It is very gripping. This writer has an enormous amount of talent. Think I wlll read more. " -- Miss Jackie, Milwaukee, Wi, USA.
"That first para is one of the best I've read in a long time, it waffled on about the weather and said nothing and yet managed to instantly make you aware of the sinister lilt to the story and pull you in. Fantastic, beautifully written and told in a story-tellers' 'voice' " -- Sooz, Dalton, Cumbria, England.
"Unbearably poignant without saccharin sweetness ... I lost my dearest friend to suicide last year ... this could have been his epitaph ... your talent is enormous." -- Judith Goff.


Image Obsessed by Paula M Shackleford (1)
"i was attracted by the "Bridget Jones" in the description. Yes, this is a diary but more a diary of a day. I think the humour in B.J. worked as it was the background to a plot that was based on her relationships. Maybe building the exercise bike experience would give the piece more depth.Hope this helps. " -- Wendy, Kent, UK.


The Secret Admirer by Yolanda Sfetsos (6)
"Powerful... the way it was delivered was refreshing and shows the weakness but yet power indivulas have over their lives and others' lives!" -- CV.
"I enjoyed reading this and became very involved in the story, but I think it could be improved in a number of ways. Firstly, we don't really understand the feelings and motives of the stalker, even though you try hard to get them across. I wanted to know what the girl represented for him, why pick on her rather than someone else: did she remind him of a childhood love, or what was it about her that had really pressed his buttons? Why did he have eyes "filled with a darkness that made anyone who looked into them cringe?". You have made him physically unattractive but I think it would actually be more interesting if he was physically completely ordinary and unremarkable, and all the problems that stopped him forming normal relationships were inside his head. Similarly for the girl, we know the facts of the case, that she is being followed etc., but who is she, what kind of life has she got, is she a loner as well, is she secretly flattered by his attentions at some level? I don't think we get much sense of the girl as a person. Finally the ending is a bit unsatisfactory, it might be more powerful if the stalker at this point turned into a determined killer and decided to go after her murderer. I think it's potentially an excellent framework for a story and you are certainly able to write but you do it in a way that is too "straight" and concentrate too much on externals. Hope this is helpful. " -- David Gardiner, London, England.
"IT IS A GOOD STORY" -- CHUANEE TANCHUAN, singapore, singapore, singPORE.
"It is a very nice and interresting story." -- Sheryl Yap, Singapore, Singapore, Singapore.
"It is a nice and sad story !!!" -- Sheryl Yap, Singapore, Singapore, Singapore.
"It's a touching and a rather realistic story" -- Joanne, jb, malaysia, johor.


The Battlefield Philosopher by David Gardiner (4)
"Holy cow! That was a bit downbeat! Fantastic story though. Good story-line, believable characters, believable settings, nice format with bits of the past cutting-in to the present. Lovely writing technique. One of the best on this site! Hope it doesn't give me nightmares." -- Stan C, Leeds, UK.
"The opening to this story is exceptional. The arrival at the airport, maybe by chance, together with the introduction to the philosophy teacher, and then the introduction to philosophy itself is a fascinating combination. The journey from then on seems so realistic and the descriptions of the ride and the taxi driver were particularly vivid. The pace worked well with the journey. The story is indeed shocking, but for me, in a strange way not downbeat. I was lifted at the end by the teacher, who had previously said "question everything", wishing for the reality to remain unknown. This, for me anyway, said that his hope was with the young, unsullied students he had left behind.Thanks for this reading experience! " -- Wendy, UK.
"Excellent descriptive passages throughout with good character developement. An appropriately titled story that lead this reader into another time and place. A world where reality and philosophy merge, expanding and contracting until the stark naked truth is delivered with a knock out ending. So believable and well paced that it read more like a first person non-fiction. Good job!!! Looking forward to reading more from you. " -- Monte, USA.
"I enjoyed this short story, its realism, the way suspense builds up, slowly, matching the journey to the farmhouse and the ending in a way reminiscent of Che's death. Dreams die." -- G�rard Ducasse, Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada.


Paradise Relived by Adagio (1)
"Adagio, your story is very sweet. It's just the sort of thing someone like me needed to hear. Without getting too personal, I just want to thank you for taking time to write this. While there were the usual bumps one might find in any good story, it still spoke true. On another note, why doesn't anyone review stories here anymore? A few months ago, EVERYONE reviewed, supported, and critiqued EVERY story. Is BENNET or TYRANT or MEG still here? :-) " -- Kimberly .


Night Out by Virginia Waters (1)
"I may be wrong but my impression is that this comes from someone very young, and male, despite the pen-name (isn't Virginia Waters a beauty-spot somewhere near Cobham?), and the author's principal intention is to shock. What s/he has ended-up with is a mildly unpleasant and rather unconvincing adolescent sex-fantasy, but the interesting thing is that you can actually detect a bit of talent beneath ordinaryness. I would like to see what this writer would make of a more conventional story when a/he wasn't trying to prove anything." -- David Gardiner, London, England.


Deraa by Caitlin Conaway (4)
"Much to like about this. It is encouraging to see an interest in history from one so young, unlike some of the other sci-fi, occult, and paranormal junk I see posted from others of your generation. I happen to be fascinated in particular, by the legendary exploits of Lawrence. Well done, but I'm afraid there aren't many browsing this site that will appreciate your efforts. Nevertheless, I want you to know that I do. " -- Dick Koss, OH.
"This is written remarkably well. And not just for a sixteen- year old, for any aspiring writer. Period. And while I'm not familiar with this particular character in history, your writing has made me want to be so. You say you don't like your writing, Ms. Caitlin? You're clearly being much too hard on yourself. " -- Michael.
"I agree with the previous reviewer, you have a very relaxed and accomplished style which draws me into the story and makes me want to read on. Lawrence is an oddball character and this comes across well in your story. All that I would say is that you should try to find your own characters and plots rather than delving into history, ideally from your own life or things/people that you know very well, and try to tell a story with a bit of an emotional bite that will get your readers involved. Personally I wouldn't recommend writing in the first person unless it is essential to what you are trying to do. You can and should write from the point of view of one particular character but if you do it in the first person every sentence tends to begin with "I" and the whole piece can become a bit claustrophobic. First person narrative is far more difficult to get right and more restricting than third-person narrative, and often spoils an otherwise good story. I liked this piece though, and look forward to reading more of your work." -- David Gardiner, London, England.
""I package my words prettily, shockingly, but there's nothing behind them, no soul." Stay with it, dear Caitlin. By now (2006) you've managed to find some. " -- dee.


A Sinner by Paula M Shackleford (5)
"OoO! Nice site! I juuust LOVE it! Found it rather interesting and useful, you know:) http://www.phentermine.grandsearch.net" -- Phentermine, ..., ..., ....
"Mmmm... Site looks good! Real good!;-) http://www.sesso.grandsearch.net" -- Sesso, ..., ..., ....
"Ehmm..m. Sehr gut Seite! Ich sage innig..!:) bmw" -- BMW, ..., ..., ....
"xobwpv urnbkv sdwhvry zfjwso laem zachifkr nweg" -- hbusypoq evsa, kzcsnjfqh, CA, USA.
"oapmgzyl bczkisv jchub mzbolfqyc xcgwr xlta swqluj" -- miqltvg wgxc, powh, CA, USA.


The Short Stories Of Mila Strictzer by Mike Strozier (1)
"This writer has set it up in such a way that eighteen stories have to be reviewed in one go. So what do the stories have in common? A single strong voice of somebody feeling a lot of hurt and bitterness, for one thing; a view of the world as a dark and harsh place, peopled by damaged, vengeful, cruel, sometimes deranged male characters. His one attempt to get inside the head of a woman ("Not Quite a Whore") is the least accomplished of the stories. The best, for me, was the simple and quite short "Two Soldiers", in which two comrades on the battlefield contemplate their likely death. Strozier/Strichzer has a gift for dialogue and description, with an occasional striking turn of phrase, and writes in a conversational almost "stream of consciousness" style, usually speaking from within the mind of his central protagonist. A lot of the material seems to be autobiographical, and several times he steps into the spotlight personally and uses a story as a platform from which to put forward his theories about the writer's role. He is stronger on character and atmosphere than he is on plot, many of the stories being sketches or slices of life without very much narrative content. In his preface he rejects the concept of proof-reading (though his work is no worse on this score than many of the stories on these pages) and claims the right to do it his own way, which is fine by me. My only real quibble is with the characters themselves, I just don't like these guys, I wouldn't want to get stuck in an elevator with any of them, and I think his view of the human condition is too unremittingly bleak and ugly for my taste. " -- David Gardiner, London, England.


The Gangster Prince by Sreenivasa Murthy Govindaraju (4)
"This is indeed an exotic story of india social probblems....." -- Thian Yeng, KL, WP, Malaysia.
"A good piece with the prevailing political structure in the Indian sub-continent" -- Ferguson J, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
"This is a very disturbing and shocking piece. The early part reminds me of Connie Corleone's wedding in "The Godfather". Clearly you have written it to make a point about corruption in Indian politics, but the point is diluted for me by my inability to understand the very last line: is the Government official simply suppressing the letter (filing it away somewhere) or is it going to made public? In other words, is Indian officialdom totally corrupt from top to bottom, or is there a limit to what they are willing to cover up?" -- David Gardiner, London, England.
"nice story" -- alicia soh.


The Shadows by Christina L. Voigt (4)
"This was beautifully written (you write like an angel)! I love the twist in the end! It was very well-done..very, very beautiful wording, as well." -- Vianne, Pennsylvania, United States.
"Good job, it was quite mystical, ha ha. Very interesting ending, yes, most interesting indeed. (from your buddy)" -- Olivia, Brookings, OR, U.S. of A..
"I loved this story. It was flowing with emotion!" -- Alice Madden, Tampa, FL.
"Your writing was done very well. I like the story line and the connection of a dream to reality. It had a good twist at the end as well. I enjoyed the descriptions. It was a story that made you think as you finished it. I like it, good job! " -- Linsey Perez , Chicago, il , USA.


Vega's Revenge by Olivia Geraghty (4)
"As a piece of descriptive writing this isn't bad, but it's the kind of thing that leaves me puzzled as to what it is trying to achieve. You dip into Jolene's mind just before the accident, but once she's in the water all that she is concerned with is survival, which is probably quite realistic, but that leaves the reader with a feeling of "so what?". We don't know Joleen well enough to really care much about her. It would be more interesting if you tried to get inside her mind just as she realizes that death is inevitable: what does it feel like, what does she think about, what does she regret about her life etc.? The details of someone's death are only interesting in a context, and I think you don't supply enough of that context here." -- David Gardiner, London, England.
" I loved your little story. I disagree with david, I knew enough about Jolene to be concerned, and had wished she had survived. I even cared enough to think that a little jealousy went a long way here! And to tell the truth, when your in the throws of death, and it's impending and your spending alot of energy trying to survive, thoughtful contemplation is not at the forefront of your mind. great piece!" -- Robinv, Belleville, IL , USA.
"LIV! It was great. It wasn't dumb like you said. :) ((hugs)) Just wish you didn't kill her off, what a way to end a story. ((grin)) Anyway, call me! Chris" -- Chrisitna, Brookings, Oregon, 97415.
"I liked it!" -- R. Bennett Okerstrom.


Two Days Of The Beginning Of My Life by Laura Peruzzi (1)
"Brilliant, to put it mildly. The author's Thomsonesque description of those two days were as thought provoking and as enlightening as the words of the author who, I'm sure, inspired her in some way. These words came from a woman who was wise beyond her years. Her story made me reminiscent of a day I will forever remember. One in which I had a conversation with a similar young woman that challenged my mind more than anyone before. She made me think differently about things I never second guessed in the past. She was an amazing woman, as I am sure the author of this story is as well. Thank you for the memories. -----Jerry H." -- Jerry H., Boca Raton, FL, USA.


The Lies Of Sleeping Dogs by David Gardiner (6)
"Thanks for a most enjoyable read. This quite original tale is well written with well-drawn characters and believable settings. I never felt aware of the author at all. Powerful stuff. " -- Ed, Essex, UK.
"The ending is great. Some lines could be trimmed a bit, I think. Overall a good effort and a nice slice of life." -- Neptune.
"You sure write creepy stuff! Just read your Battlefield Philosopher. This was comedy by comparison. Great stuff though. Loved it. Good plot, good characters, well written." -- Stan C, Leeds, UK.
"LIKED THE TITLE BECAUSE OF THE SAYING(?)-LET SLEEPING DOGS LIE. SUCH A GOOD READ FOR ME! THE PACING,THE DESCRIPTION,THE SUSPENSE-ALL GREAT. THE IRONY OF THE FACT THAT THE SON WAS INDIGNANT ABOUT THE LIES HE HAD BEEN TOLD AND IN THE END HE CHOSE, FOR "GOOD" REASON,TO CONTINUE WITH HIS OWN VERSION OF THE LIES OF SLEEPING DOGS. IN THE HANDS OF A LESS ARTISTIC PERSON THIS STORY COULD HAVE BEEN THE ORDINARY TALE OF WOE ABOUT A FAMILY SECRET. YOUR TALENT GAVE THIS TELLING A DASH OF INTRIQUE AND MYSTERY. THANK YOU,I WANTED SOMETHING TO READ THAT WOULD CAPTURE MY COMPLETE ATTENTION. YOU DID IT!!!" -- shirley munford, lacrosse , usa, VA.
"I would just like to thank everybody who has reviewed this story so far. It's true that I do write "creepy stuff" Stan, and sometimes I worry about it, but I'm very pleased that so many people seem to like it. I really appreciate the encouragement. You all have great taste! David (author)." -- David Gardiner.
"This is a very readable piece. It is creative and cohesive. I look forward to reading more of this author's work." -- AJ Magy, Sfld, MI, US.


Klaas by Adagio (1)
"Although I've seen your name and work before on the Storymania site, I don't believe I've ever commented on it before. Allow me to correct that, hopefully in some constructive capacity. I wanted to point out that I could detect little wrong with it, and that's a very high compliment coming from someone like me, who likes to help people by finding fault with a work and then destroying that fault in an attempt to make a stronger work. I should point out that this sentence part, taken out of context, should be corrected, and can easily be done so in one of two ways. First the sentence fragment, which I'll put in quotation marks, and then I'll follow with two possible corrections. "total comfort and everything that I do." Correction #1 "I move through her streets with ease and total comfort 'in' everything (delete following word)that I do." Correction #2 "I move through her streets with ease and total comfort 'with' everything that I do." I won't go any further. There'd be little point in trying to find further fault with this magnificent work. Any other commentary I can make will be useless to you, but all the same, I will say that I too have recently completed a short story set in Africa as well, in the Sudan as well. I'm afraid mine pales in comparison to your finely rendered illustration.--The Advisor" -- JA St.George.


Kate by Thomas J (4)
"I think this story is brilliantly written. It moves along perfectly and I was gripped. " -- Wendy, Kent, UK.
"I loved it! Espically the ending. Really makes a person stop to think about things. Great work sweetie! Keep it up!" -- Jennifer, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA.
"Very interesting story. The pace was great and really drew me in. If you are considering publishing this piece - which I think you could - you should proof it again, as there are word omissions. Also, I would clean up the language just a little to give it a bit more polish. I'm not against using profanity, but there places in the story where it isn't necessary and takes away more than it adds. Regardless, the story is extremely well-written and very creative. I think you have a very bright future as a writer. Nice work. " -- Patti, Manchester, CT.
"I enjoyed reading this, became drawn-in after the first few sentences and wanted to know how it was going to end. So overall it worked very well, but I'll try to say what I thought were its weaknesses. Firstly I think profanity is over-used to no particular purpose. It comes over as slightly juvenile. Even if you want to use swear-words it's a good idea not to use the same one over and over, which gets tedius and suggests an inadequate vocabulary. Secondly, the idea of everything being a dream is hardly new, and I don't think you exploited all the possibilities that the device offered in this instance. It wasn't made clear whether he was wakening up in bed with his wife or his mistress, or whether the dream was going to change his behaviour in the future. Even better would have been a slightly ambiguous ending, where we weren't quite sure whether this was his wakening up into his normal life or whether it was in fact the beginning of his first day in Hell. I hope these comments are of some use. I think the story (and your writing) has terrific potential. " -- David Gardiner, London, England.


Hideaway by Laura Peruzzi (1)
"I'm interested to receve the parole of Laura Peruzzi: PERQUI" -- fatimi ahmed, casablanca, ben msik, morocco.


Dream Park De Mattete by Rachel (2)
"Nice story!I like the way it ends up even though it's a bit sad" -- Watanae, Yokohama, Japan.
"its quiet different ,it shows queer keep it on.i liked it" -- franklin.


All's Well... by Jan A. Tammen (3)
"Rather than be pissed at the fact that you posted the ending to a story I created and suggested we write together, I'll just say nice job. It's premature and as you know I do have a copy of the final chapter that you previously sent me and actually planned on posting it anyway. Again, it's premature, because I still have plans for MY two protagonists, as it is MY story. Nothing changes. Spooks Chapter 5: Consequences and Repercussions will be up shortly. And it won't be what you expect, but I'll write it and the subseqent chapters to fit the ending that you wrote...out of respect for your writing style only. I would be remiss were I to say that it didn't compliment my own. And onto chapter 5 ladies and gents." -- Smokey.
"Just for your information, the story is our idea, and I created the most popular chapter in it. Besides, this chapter written here was my creation, and not yours. As far as I know, it says "Jan&Smokey" in the posting area, and that certainly does mean that we wrote this story together. You left the story resting for over 3 months while you were pouring your heart out over the entire Kate incident. I was thus justified to write the ending, and be done with all of it. As for chapter 5, expect to see it on the boards very soon. " -- The German.
"The most popular chapter, Jan, is chapter one, which I wrote, it sets everything up. Because I came up with the idea and plot, way before I even told you about it. The idea that we discussed was something called "Cleaners" a very different thing. But I am not about to start another war on this site. Before I leave for senior week, I'm going to post one more "HOPELESS CYNIC" essay which have become ever so popular. To Jan: If you want to continue the Spooks story, go right ahead, Stilling will probably read it. And I suppose you are going to use the plot we talked about, that's ok. Kill my character off though, and don't use the Wentling's name either. Those are Robisms, staples of my own stories, that I created when I began the story before I asked you to write it with me. The best thing about me is that I always have more stories to tell. You know that. When I get back from senior week, I will post a new series--as I have ended the In the Light of A Shadow saga--that's a bit different. Good luck with the series, and work on your dialog a bit. It's kinda stale. To miss Van Cleaf: this was EC ALLEN's suggestion to me when I started In the Light of A Shadow, if you go back and read the review posted. To work on my dialog. At the time, I really didn't find anything wrong with it so it kinda pissed me off, but looking back, it was kinda stale. I hope I have since improved and personally look forward to your review, Miss Van Cleaf (sorry if I spell it wrong), when I post my new story in about a week. That's why I dedicated my "HOPELESS CYNIC" essays to him. I had no idea he'd left the site, but I was hoping he'd read it and see that I'd improved as a writer; the man was quite a writer himself, and I repected him. I shall dedicate the next story to him as well, since his prodding was the reason I decided to blend action with comedy, so I could work with my dialog. Sorry if I uspet you, I meant no ill will toward you or EC. And if you could, see if you can get him to read my latest when it comes out, as I will respect his opinion. And now, back to being a cynic... " -- Rob Hagans.


Thoughts On The Dawn After A Starry Night by Jeremy Lee Henderson (7)
""Thoughts On The Dawn After A Starry Night" invokes the torrent of the masterpiece, adding a self-portrait to the colours therein. The opening and closing lines perfectly mirror the tortured struggle of the artist within the story and the spirit. Life doesn't stop for a broken heart." -- Loren Di Iorio, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
"Beautiful & a very true analysis. Well done 'Jerry Lee Lewis'!" -- Harry, Northampton, United Kingdom.
"Outstanding piece of work!!!" -- Monte, USA.
"What begins as a heart-felt exploration of late night brooding turnings into an analysis of an artist's fabled art of love. It's interesting, and the idea is sound. I would like to see more detail, though. If it's to be a philosophical discussion about the nature of love, it should drop the intro. and have some kind of thesis. If it's to be fiction, it should tell how the box looked that the girl received, or what was the texture of the ear. Did she hold it up to the light? Could she see the shadow of her fingertips through it? That sort of thing. You have hit on some excellent scenes here, excellent ideas, with a little bit more imagination will really explode into something great. Good luck." -- Scott W. Hazzard, PB, NY.
"A competent, although not perfect, exploration of emotional details from a few levels of conditional reality away." -- tGaPDS.
"Wow! I liked this very much. Jeremy you are terrific. Thanks for sharing your talent." -- Miss Jackie, Milwaukee, Wi, USA.
"Another excellent piece ... Please give us more !!!" -- Judith Goff, USA.


Turning Point by Harriet Nicholas (6)
"A compelling piece of paranoia with subtle imagery scattered throughout.It's interesting to note how obsessed the main character is with the image she projects to the world because this is an issue many people face, especially teenage girls. " -- Kev.
"Very impressed.Harriet should definately consider writing more novels." -- Ezmerelda.
"Simply remarkable! Not boring by any means. I found myself being both entertained and enlightened, which are the primary ingredients in any great body of literature. Keep up the magnificence." -- Michael.
"A truly delightful read and solid piece of work, the honesty shines through making this narrative powerful and profound! Correct the gramatical errors and submit this to a teen mag and you just may be surprised at the response. Keep up the good work, you writing reflects you have found your inner voice and are destined for greater things ahead. You show incredible insight for your age. Good job!!! " -- Monte, USA.
"Wow, I really enjoyed this piece. I, too, think you could write easily for teen mags. The last line struck a chord with me, strangely enough, as I've just submitted a poem called "From Darkness to Light." Weird or what? Keep it up, Kiddo! Stan. A. Fowler." -- Stan. A. Fowler.
"Very much enjoyed the journey through this young girl's psyche. I agree, you are a force to be reckoned with. Do you have anything paper-published yet ??? Now I feel a little better about your critique of my story "Exqusite Agony"!! At least you know how to write !!! Did you read my other humble offering "Critters"? Would like your opinion there." -- Judi, Tampa, FL, USA.


The Honest Cheat by Sreenivasa Murthy Govindaraju (1)
"I liked this piece-- great writing. Could you show me some of your other work? You are a great writer." -- Kevin Feeney, ed., San Fran, California, 94010.


The Agonies Of Agnes- First Entry by Hippolito Jaken (1)
"I won't pretend I understand what you're getting at in this one. You have given us the first entry in her diary, when it sounds as if things are going okay for her. No "agonies" on the horizon so far. Are you going to continue the series? Just a tiny error: I think "scared" in Paragraph 3 should be "sacred". How about a few more entries so we can get the feel of it?" -- David Gardiner, London, England.


The Monkey-Trap by David Gardiner (5)
"I started to read this because my family has a connection with the Holocaust. At first it made me very angry: I thought it was saying we should try to "forgive and forget" Then I got to the ending and was completely bowled-over. I almost cried. This is an amazing piece of work. How have we hot heard of this author before?" -- Dorothy Lukovi.
"Unlike the previous reviewer, I don't have a direct connection with the Holocaust, I read this because I saw the other review and know the author. It's very well written and the ending brought tears to my eyes." -- Daria.
"Great story! Not only was the storyline itself good, but it was well written.. I look forward to reading future stories." -- dr.
"This is the most upbeat of the three you've got here and I think maybe the best for me. You're a fantastic writer. Every plot is absolutely original and they're all extremely well written. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!" -- Stan C, Leeds, UK.
"beautifully written, and good meaning attached. the test of a good short story is that you can read it repeatedly and you can't spot the faults. I read this a few times, and its still a great experience. Bravo!" -- Prasanth, Sydney, Australia.


The Karmic Wheel by Becka Roach (2)
"I just read the opening lines to this and again it's similar to something Ive written! It's not on here tho. =)" -- C G L Davies.
"Hey there. I've seen you twice on my stories now. Spooky how we could have similar beginnings huh? :-) Well I hope you enjoyed them. It's been quite some time since I've visited this site to check on my stories. I'll have to post some more when I get the chance! Becka" -- becka, Washington, IL, USA.


The Antique Table by Sreenivasa Murthy Govindaraju (2)
"An amazing love story with an unusual character. Good writing indeed." -- Kappola Jr, San Jose, US, CL.
"The story is well structured, I liked the analogy between the writer's life and the supposed life of Sabita's former suitor. Stories that span large stretches of time have always appealed to me. However, I was mildly disappointed by the ending, I wanted to know more about Sabina, why she hadn't posted the letter and what had happened to the man who had gone to America. This wouldn't need to be absolutely explicit, it could have been implied or hinted-at, but just having the woman cry doesn't really tell us very much. Something else that occurred to me (getting more far-fetched, I know): suppose the man with the letter arrived just as Sabina's funeral was taking place, and met not Sabina but the man she had been writing to, who had returned from America to attend her burial, never having received the letter...? Okay, now I'm getting silly. I really enjoyed the story. An excellent piece of work." -- David Gardiner, London, England.


Pilgrimage Of A Parasite by Sreenivasa Murthy Govindaraju (2)
"Here's on that's very expressive. Good witing." -- Jim Robrets, Chicago, USA.
"Human mind is always weak and here's one that's very well written espicially the ending." -- Frank Sullivan, New Delhi, India.


In The Light Of A Shadow: Showdown In The House Of God by Robert G Hagans (1)
"Rob, great story keep it comin!!!!" -- Stills, Towson, MD, USA.


E-Love by Rita A. Wheeler (2)
"Read all " -- Ann Wong, Rowland Heights, CA, U.S.A..
"speed home head yes red all tom head english house" -- dogtomcubeen, London, Marlboro, France.


A Chance Meeting by Becka Roach (3)
"Hey, u have a story under the same name as one of mine, and it kinda starts in the same way too! Scary! Anyway I'm goin to read urs now! :)" -- C G L Davies.
"This is amazing!! u should write a book. u really know how to get our interest in the story, it's like we're there, feeling every bit. Cooool :)" -- Hanan.
"Very nice description of mood, atmosphere, tone, feeling and emotion - an incredibly artistic piece - well done." -- Afreena.


There are 32 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.