www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Short Stories - Reviews




Short Stories Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

Old Brindle by Nathaniel A Miller (1)
"You know, I wondered where this era had gone. After reading a sampling of some really "now" and more up-to-date stuff, I'd just about decided that a lot of the innocence from way back was completely gone. Again, refreshing in it's innocence. Cheers to your grandma - some lady. Enjoyed the visit back in time. SMCK" -- Stephanie Mckinney.


Ethel by Ekaterina Alexandrova (2)
"I'm so glad you wrote this. This was such a great story written well and dealing with the insurmountable lost of a child. This is truly one of the best storieis I read on this site. " -- e. rocco caldwell.
"I remember reading this story in its infancy - it's good to read it again after the time that has passed. Life is what you make of it - follow your heart and the future will be bright." -- Mr Harasho.


Alone In Blood by Christina Aspears (9)
"Great! YOU HAVE OUTDONE YOURSELF! Disturbingly good and well written. Have you read Edgar Allen Poe by chance? I think you would likee him!" -- Collins, in, in, us.
"I liked it! Collin's descrption fit it perfectly: Disturbingly good and well written. Keep up the good work." -- Jenn Hilliard.
"I liked this too. It was written well and the twist at the end worked wonderfully. I suggest if I might not be to vain that you read my story tangled berry bushes. I think you might enjoy it too." -- e. rocco caldwell.
"Keep 'em coming!" -- Collins, In, In, US.
"i want to read it" -- sara, Saudi Arabia.
"Wonderful! This is actually my second time reading this story, but the first time I didn't leave any reviews. I have only a few criticisms, and so here they are: "It displayed 2 o�clock in black digital numbers." Perhaps that should read, 'two o' clock'. "We sort of had a falling outs..." That should read, 'We sort of had a falling out...' "The sounds of sirens as an ambulance and three cop cars pulled up into the lawn interrupted her empty questions." This stands out because the ambulance and police officers made it there so quickly. Perhaps you should rethink how fast you want them to arrive on the scene. Very good effort, especially since you are so young. If you like, I'd love to know what you thought of my short story "Evil's Fingers", which is currently under the New Titles section of the site. Until then, keep up the magnificence. " -- Michael Harris, Detroit, MI.
"giluv it" -- long, lilburn, ga, usa.
"Wow, young lady you are a winner,D" -- Diana Venditti.
"I must say that you certainly show more potential than most people of your age on this site. I see some problems, but none that are note worthy, and certainly none that I would not expect from a College level writer, let alone a fifteen year old. Keep up the hustle." -- Lisa Hill, Sandusky, Ohio, America.


The News by J Shartzer (2)
"pretty good but short " -- mark k malburg.
"If u wrote this just to see if u are good in ur description. Well u r good. but this does not qualify as a story.. its just a couple of paragraphs. Build please" -- Avis, Mumbai, India.


The Mysterious Stars by Somdev Mukherjee (1)
"The idea behind the story is excellent. It appealed to me even more as I myself, like Akash, dream of doing research in astronomy. The inputs from Tagore's works was a good idea. However, I would have liked more vivid description of Akash's stay in Canada. Anyway, I enjoyed reading it. My best wishes to the writer." -- Ushashi Chakraborty, Kolkata, West Bengal, India.


Words To Die For... by Harvey Kennett (3)
"Don't understand why he would kill himself! I think implying more in the story his unstable life might make it work. I just thought this story was forced based on the words of the dictionary instead of a true and unique plot." -- e. rocco caldwell.
"Hi Rocco, thanks for the valuable feedback, much appreciated. I wanted the story to be in contrast how we normally live our lives, dictated by laws, people, thoughts and emotions. I was trying to convey an individual who lived his life by the dictats of his dictionary, and following each word to the letter (no pun intended). His downfall was that he adhered to the rules to the extent that they resulted in his own destruction, and I was trying to get the reader to draw a conclusion that rules, if rigidly followed are destructive instead of constructive. I chose the words carefully, because I wanted a twist at the end, in which even his death, as a physical end, transcended the self-imposed rules he had set himself by completing the next word "Unique". The man was, quite literally, Sui Generis. Of course, if I need to explain this then perhaps I need to revisit the idea and rewrite it for the audience. Sometimes one can try and be too clever !" -- Harvey Kennett, Chelmsford, Essex, UK.
"This was drop dead funny, even the suicide was clever. Might have gone right over my head but good job." -- Just A Guy.


Whittlin' by Gypsey Teague (1)
"Enjoyed reading your story Gypsey, a healthy element of the bizarre with a nice twist at the end. For a short piece that is quite an achievement! Well done!" -- Monte.


What A Bad Day! by Emma The Apprenticeserialkiller (3)
"You know I'm probably not the only one that's a little worried aout you after reading this" -- Steven.
"Ehmm..m. Sehr gut Seite! Ich sage innig..!:) bmw" -- BMW, ..., ..., ....
"How has world gone on for so long for so long in this crazy world the killers the loveers the others in life thepeople who are homelesswithout no life but all that is coming i want the world to change please can someome hear me i want this to end the bad no more there has been enough in this life please don't get this together again" -- keondra jenkins, largo, florida.


Viewing Essential by Geoff Nelder (2)
"I identified so much with John in this story. Great suspense, I had thought what he should do and he beat me to it. What a simple but unexpected twist. Brill." -- Jeff Hawkin, Liverpool, Merseyside, UK.
"I lived in that house but it was in newcastle! Kidding. So tightly written - I was expecting tunnels, false walls etc so didn't see the twist. Well Done. Any more, Geoff?" -- John Ambit, Newcastle, UK.


The Rear View Mirror by Brotherman (1)
"Man, that brings back memories! I went to Lincoln around the time of your character as did many of my friends who for a brief moment were the toast of the school. Now...lord knows where they are! I liked this. By the way that safeway is a church now!" -- e. rocco caldwell.


The Last Revelation by Harvey Kennett (1)
"This was absolutely brilliant! I would love to see this expanded into a longer novel. Any chance this might happen?" -- Luis Felips Moura.


The Honor Of A Lady by Susan Brassfield Cogan (1)
"Susan, I'm in love with your writing! You have the ability to hold my attention when spinning a tale! Excellenct!" -- e. rocco caldwell.


The Fallen Arc by Brotherman (1)
"Very sad but well written..." -- KM.


Manborg Menace by Randy Johnson (2)
"What is up with you and the whizzed word? Both your stories open with the same word!" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"To E. rocco Caldwell: I've about had it with your crap! I can write however I please!!! Leave me alone!!!" -- Randy Johnson.


Love's In Need Of Love Today by Brotherman (2)
"nothing but straight up honors to you for this work! It is plainly excellent! I read locked to this story it sort of pulled me into it. I enjoyed it a lot. I have a question...is the location of this piece in Tacoma? The hilltop area is right on MLK way in Tacoma! Just wondering!" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"Enjoyed the read Brotherman! From start to finish a compelling a story!" -- Monte.


Ike And Lou's Barbershop by Brotherman (1)
"This brings back fond memories of my days sitting in Woods' barbershop off Portland Ave in T-Town. There's a wealth of information and conflict at the B-shop. I liked the coflict you created and this story. Fine writing." -- e. rocco caldwell.


Forgive Us Our Debts...Part2 by E Rocco Caldwell (4)
"Once again you have brought this story to life, I am flabagasted by your work and I hope you'll continue with this story. I can't stop reading now...." -- Buxton, Aberdeen, Sco..
"I really enjoy writing this story. It's a mixture of history and the struggles African-Americans faced for acceptance in this country. I'm glad you enjoy it" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"I really enjoyed this story, thought it was well presented. Also, the characters and storyline are strong. My only advice to you would be to work on your punctuation. There are missed punctuation marks in many places. That's it. " -- Alberta, Atlanta .
"I'm blessed. This is a honor to have you review my work, Alberta. Thank you for your kind word. (These are drafts of the story but you are right I should watch punctuation)" -- e. rocco caldwell.


Forgive Us Of Our Debts So We Can Be Debt Free by E Rocco Caldwell (2)
"What happens next????????? Loved the imagery in this story, I could picture every moment. Please write more..." -- Buxton.
"I will! He's on his way to Topeka!" -- e. rocco caldwell.


Forgive Us Of Our Debts...Part 3 by E Rocco Caldwell (2)
"This is very good. I'll be glad when it's published. Purchase a Writer's Market for 2004. Do a query letter and synopsis for your novel, if you haven't already. The first thing editors notice when you send sample chapters are punctuation, grammar and spelling errors. You must minimize these errors in order for your novel to be given a chance. In June, I sent the first three chapters of my novel, and Genesis Press wrote me back stating that my work received a favorably review from the acquisitions reader and they requested my entire manuscript. My novel is currently in the second reading now, which is a very good sign that they'll most likely publish it. The first two or three chapters of any novel must always introduce the main characters to the reader. If the characters aren't interesting, the publishing company many times won't accept the manuscript. Another reason why a publisher won't accept a person's manuscript is because the editor(s) may not care for the type of genre that was written. Racism is prevalent in the book publishing industry, like any other industry. Keep that in mind. But I believe your book will do well. Westerns and war-type novels are in high demand. Rocco, I have at least 25 rejection letters from publishers. Some said my work was good, but they're currently not taking on new projects at the moment. Rocco, what you should do is send out your query letter and synopsis to many publishers within the first five months of next year. I believe this will give your novel more chances. Please understand that your query letter and synopsis must be written in a way to make a great impression, to inspire the editor to want to read what you've written. If it's littered with punctuation, grammar and spelling errors, they're not gonna give your novel a chance. " -- Alberta , Atlanta .
"I appreciate such kind words, Alberta. I'm glad to hear about the progress of your novel. You are a very fine writer with a keen mind. Something that's lacking in our field. I agree with everything you said. I have been writing this at a frenzy because the thoughts are there and I don't wish to lose them. This section I've presented so far is only the first two chapters of the books. I have one more section I wish you read. I will post today. This is my first attempt with a western but I found it refreshing and a special venture to voice many of the themes I carry inside me. Let me posted on the progress of your novel! I will buy it!" -- e. rocco caldwell.


Forgive Us Of Our Debts...Finale by E Rocco Caldwell (2)
"This is good, but pay attention to your spelling and punctuation a little more. There are missing commas throughout sentences. Misspelled words in certain places. " -- Alberta , Atlanta .
"Brilliant!!!! " -- Buxton.


Egalitarianism by E Rocco Caldwell (2)
"I love this, brother. You remind me a lot of John A Williams at his best. You have a elegant moral authority that comes with understanding your roots in the community and the basic church based humanism that has made this country better, whether the country liked it or not. ( PS Man it is a small world. Im holding it down going to school in bellingham, but yeah my roots are in the hill and every 2-3 weeks I always come back. I'm glad you are holding it down it T town now)" -- brotherman, bellingham, wa, USA.
"thanks, brotherman. You're attending Western Washington U. I had a friend go there he liked it. Say hello to some Canadians if you get up that way!" -- e. rocco caldwell.


Bloody Mary by E Rocco Caldwell (1)
"Wow, that was pretty crazy. That was always a favorite game of mine, it was cool to see a story written around it." -- Jae.


Abilene And Beyond by E Rocco Caldwell (1)
"Enjoyed reading this Rocco, Coltrane is an interesting character that you could get alot of milage from if you choose to expand this piece. You apparently researched the geography well or know this area from expierence. Don't know if the paragraph breaks didn't go through in the formatting when you posted, it would make it easier for your readers if you went back in and included them! Great write!" -- Monte.


A Requiem For Ruby Ellen Daniels by Brotherman (1)
"I thought your location was T-Town. I live there near Wapato Park. It was neat reading about my town in such a well written piece. You have a large religious background and it tells in your stories. It is a wonderful piece for your grandmother. It's amazing how the African-American woman has been the backbone of other race for some many years. I was touched by this. Good job" -- e. rocco caldwell.


A Rainy Night In Baghdad by Susan Brassfield Cogan (3)
"Written well as always, Susan. I liked the perceptives of the two drunks and the lack of reality on their part...as the Americans aren't coming they are already there in the form of the drink and now the bombings. Very good!" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"Enjoyed the read Susan, a very creative write with a touch of irony & humor, I like your creative choice of words in putting this piece together. Well done." -- Monte.
"I'm glad I followed Rocco's advice and read this piece! wow... I like your style and the imagination station was cooking. Excellent piece! Deb" -- D. G. Williford.


A Father And Son Chat by E Rocco Caldwell (4)
" This, as always was very well put! It unfortunately reminded me of my step-father, when he was alive; good person - but was raised to be prejudice, so he was!" -- Christine.
"Very well expressed! I think we all discriminate, the black against the white, the intelligent against the stupid. maybe rascism is inherent in all. We all hv to rise above it all. Great piece of work. I too have hosted some of my work.I'd like to have d views of a writer such as urself. keep it up." -- Avis, Mumbai , India.
"Very good points and opinions, and very clever of you to put it the way you did. Please review and tell me what you think of my stuff." -- Moses M. Constable.
"Ehmm..m. Sehr gut Seite! Ich sage innig..!:) bmw" -- BMW, ..., ..., ....


What Lies Beneath The White by Alyssa Vonputtputt (1)
"cute! I was hoping something more but the story works if telling it to the right audience" -- e. rocco caldwell.


Uncle Willie's Gift by Frank Dunsmore (1)
"This is very well written, very descriptive and well structured. Can't wait to read more of your work. Check out mine if you have time under "K M"" -- K M (Michelle).


The Reckoning Zone by E Rocco Caldwell (2)
"Rocco, we do not agree on a lot of issues, but I enjoy reading your work. This was a great piece I completly enjoyed it. Its quite thought provoking. Its rare to disagree with someone on the internet and still be thanked for the input. I saw your thank you message on the boards. This shows that you respect opposite opinions despite your disagreement with it. Thanks for the writing. Looking forward to reading more." -- BH.
"And thank you again, BH. I appreciate all views...that way I never think I'm right all the time." -- e. rocco caldwell.


The Conductor by E Rocco Caldwell (8)
"I like this, but there are some typos and run-on sentences. The ending might be more effective if you made it: "Like I said, it's clumsy but effective. See, I'm just a go-between. You happen to be Mister Death." and then the grandfather clock part. Just a small change, and just my opinion. I'm enjoying your work!" -- Jenn H..
"Thanks, Jenn. I did go back and make corrections. I polished it a little too. It was in a very raw stage when I submitted it." -- e. rocco caldwell.
"Nice work. ;o)" -- Jenn H.
"This is some beautiful prose. have you ever been published? Cause I'd pay to read this" -- brotherman, bellingham, wa, USA.
"One short story in a Mag out of Oregon. I'll glady you enjoyed it!" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"Hello Rocco - thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my two stories - I really appreciate it. You have so many stories and I am slowly getting to read them all! The Conductor particularly appealed to me as death and the hereafter is of particular interest to me and I love to read other writers ideas of it. Best regards, Erasmus Flynt " -- Erasmus Flynt, UK.
"Thank you, erasmus. I truly enjoy your stuff " -- e. rocco caldwell.
"I enjoyed this story very much. I'm not sure why, but for some reason it gave me comfort. Don't ask because i don't know either, but i truly enjoyed it. I'd appreciatite if you read and commented some of my stuff. Thanks." -- Moses M. Constable.


The Character by Sheryl Hanna (7)
"It was an INTERESTING, provocative type of vampire story. I liked it very much." -- Joshua Stiller, San Francisco, CA, USA.
"It was a tantilizing, wonderful story. It gives vampires a GOOD name and makes them have a whole different approach to the world of Horror. I loved the story." -- Rosa Martinez, San Francisco, CA, USA.
"I found the story to be fresh and different than the run of the mill vampire stories. I really liked it." -- Hans Meyerson, San Jose, CA, USA.
"I thought Alfred was a smooth, cool type of vampire especially the way he suddenly appeared to Natalie as she was deciding what to write for her next story. I loved the story. It should be a play or a short film for TV." -- Lydia Anderson, Los Angeles, CA, USA.
"This story should be made into a movie or a play in the theatre. I really enjoyed this story. Sheryl, write more stories like this." -- Barbara Thompson, Anaheim, CA, USA.
"This story is good, there should be a collection of these types of stories. Very good material." -- William Prescott, Baltimore, MD, USA.
"Oh, I loved Alfred. He's a real smooth vampire. He's also very exciting and romantic. This should be made into a play for the theater or a movie for TV." -- Frank Matthews, Chicago, Il, USA.


Pick A Pocket Of Sunshine by Susan Brassfield Cogan (2)
"Wonderful! Susan, you truly are good at writing these sorts of stories. Your style is inviting and holds a reader. I truly enjoyed this short but great piece" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"The most milage I've seen anyone get from 379 words! Great Write!" -- Monte.


Life, Death, And A Guitar by Susan Brassfield Cogan (1)
"Good action and written well. I liked it so much I'm going to read your other much longer story. Good work" -- e. rocco caldwell.


C.C.'ed by Tom Scanlon (1)
"this story is fucking hip man. this is why i come and sift through the stories on this site. The recurring food idea and then the last bit in the alley? bwilliant. just watch it about the sharks man, please. those poor hated & loathed bastards may be ruthless man-eaters but dammit they're cute when they're young." -- the rube.


Cassius-The-Leg, Part Two by Buxton (1)
"Keep writing. I just don't quite get this but maybe I eventually will!" -- e. rocco caldwell.


Cassius The Leg, Part Three by Buxton (3)
"Super Story , yet one feels that its bears a resemblance to my own work , maybe 'thee be more suiteth'd to be'th a phrophet' http://www.storymania.com/cgibin/sm2/smshowtitlebox.cgi?title=TheNuthareBarteringRabbitKid&category=shortstories&page=10" -- Christopher Dark.
"Ah, thy christoph has emerged from the darkest crevice to unload his judgment. From the rabbit kid to cassius, I feel my work was somewhat similar in unsimilar form. For what it's worth Rabbit kid would be polvorised by cassius in a one off bout, if one is ready to compete? As for the whole story copying, soz." -- buxton.
" Story Mania is nothing but a Porn! site!!!!! remove your work Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! " -- Rena Leanne Erickson.


Behind The Wheel by Harvey Kennett (2)
"Thank you for the education in English terms such as motorway, lorry. This, Harvey, is very good. I was hooked from the moment I read the first line. I truly enjoyed the two works you submitted. Keep up the great work" -- e. rocco caldwell.
"This was scary... The vivid description of the family's death is so realistic that I could actually 'see' the scene at the back of my mind. Congratulations!" -- Luis Felipe Moura.


Another Crummy Day by Chris Flynn (4)
"A very funny story! You should contiue to write, you have a lot of talent!" -- Will.
"haha. this was cool. i played trombone from 6-8th grade.. ahh the band years... there's a lot of humor in this, you're talented, keep up the good work!" -- rae.
"not very exciting but still very good needs more action of some sort" -- Tristan, Perth, wa .
"Yes Chris, this is your English teacher. I am sorry to hear that you don't like class, but I love this story!!! I think it is creative,funny and very well done. I look forward to reading more of your work in class. And I wish you better days of school!!!!!" -- Mrs. Owens, Alpharetta, Ga, USA.


Algolagnic by E Rocco Caldwell (2)
"very intense...wonderfully written! Bravo...again." -- K M (Michelle).
"Great story, i got lost in it and just very well done." -- Moses Constable.


There are 39 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.