www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Non-Fiction - Reviews




Short Stories - Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction Reviews
Essays - Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

The Way I Am by Peter Izdebski (2)
"excellent" -- astroducky.
"An excellent story.. It makes one think hard. I reallly enjoyed it. Mr. Izdebski, you should really get into writing! " -- Paul , scarborough, canada, ontario, toronto.


Addicted To Eve Garner by Jonathan Christian Soriano (12)
"This wonderful story was one that contain great detail and a perfect insight of a true story. For those who love reading those stories that you can really visualize,I think you should read this one. I recommend everyone reading such a well developed story because its one of those story that you never forget." -- Cindy Jean , Elmont , NY , USA.
"Jonathan's story "Addicted to Eve Garner" is memorable and beautiful in the sense that he was completely true and honest. He didn't try to hide the truth, or sugarcoat it to make himself seem better. He just let out all of his feelings and I found his story addicting in itself...he has great techniques as a storyteller, making you want to keep going, wanting to hear more." -- Heather Klugh, Columbia, SC, USA.
"I think the author displays natural storytelling talent. I feel he grasped both the wonderment and horror of addiction and the craving of something so unreachable that its painful. He gives credit to Eve and to himself. It's possible to relate to both characters. I hope that he continues to write more." -- Lisa Meyer, Long Island , USA, NY.
"Jonathan's story was one of the best storeis I have read in my life. I am only 15 and and last year I was a freshman so I can sorta relate to this story. Jon you did a gr8 job on this and I think if she saw this she would admire you for this story. I know I would if I were in her shoes. Good luck Jon!" -- Ashley, Long Island, U..S.A, New York.
"I loved this story. I thought it was beautifully written and as a 15 year old, I believe I can relate in some way. I would love to see more stories like this in the future. " -- Mandy, Setauket, NY, USA.
"I loved this story! It was beautifuly written... Including description and thoughtfullness. This story is very easy to relate to because have gone through similar experiences in my first year of high school! Good luck Jon!" -- Haley, SLO, CA, USA.
"Hey! This is a great piece of work! I would like to say congratulations on a job well done! I enjoyed this and admire you for your honesty and courage in writing such a story. I hope you go a long way in writing or whatever you do. Keep up the good work! ~Bri" -- Bri, TX.
"Never have I read a more heartfelt and sincere story in my life. I could feel myself walking by his side as he told the story. I have heard people say that there is no such thing as Love, it is just an addiction. Despite the story being called "Addicted to Eve Garner" The story depicted a much more subtle side to the title. Not obsession or addiction, but true love. There is a talent here, that should not be wasted, such thoughtfullness, consideration and emmotion is hard to come by and is only found in the best pieces of literature, and I think I found the best piece!" -- Sarah, Croydon, England.
"This is a great story. It shows the truth of his life and what really happened. It must have been painful for the author to go back and relive these memories and you have to give him respect for that. He also has a great talant for writing. This story is written differently then other story's are. It shows a real life lesson that you can learn from what someone else did. All in all it's a great story" -- Rachel, United States, Pennsylvania.
"I thought that it was very good! It almost made me cry because it was sad But so sweet!" -- Autumn, Littleton, US, Colorado.
"It was a magnificant story! It was written in such a manner that it touched the heart!" -- Kathy, NY, NY, 56784.
"This is a beauiful story about growing up and the good and bad that comes with it-lovely and lyrical. Jonathan's honesty and emotions show through in his writing style- great story." -- Julia , Boston, USA, MA.


Pissed--Or, We Did It To Ourselves(Yes, Read Fucked) by Randall Barfield (2)
"Woah! Let's accept our country warts and all. But let's hate fat people even more than shady accounting practices. Ok, like many reactionaries, this writing would have us be tolerant and love our country, but only in the ways that HE thinks is appropriate. I remember my sister in the national guard, crying because she was on "fat watch," i.e., in the position of having to lose weight or be kicked out of the military. All female folk in my family are very large, but sturdy and strong. She ate nothing but salads for years on end and still gained weight. I know she didn't cheat, I was rooming with her at this time. In the end she settled at about the exact same weight that all other women ended up at in our family, and left the guard. Now she's happy. The war against the obese is intolerance, pure and simple. A short while ago, the studies showing obesity wasn't as dangerous as all the alarmists proclaimed hit the light of day, but scared the wits out of the diet industry. Now we're back to the war against people of size. I can't even begin to imagine what other groups this writer hates. Intolerance is intolerance in any form. I am sad, angry, and DISGUSTED with this writer's call for unconditional love of our country when his own words reveal he doesn't stand for unconditional love at all. Nothing justifies our enemies attacking us as they did on September 11. Nothing justifies hatred masquerading as love of country." -- Clyde.
"The author mentions obesity. He does so in a collective sense(that the country is out of shape), not individually. I'm sad that the reviewer sees any kind of hatred housed by me. I will work to purge myself." -- Randy, Colombia.


An Interview With New York Times Best Selling Author Steve Alten by Owen Hollifield (2)
"Nice job, very concise, lots of useful information. the author was informative and the questions were direct and to the point. " -- Shelley, Fullerton, Ca, USA.
"I've never heard of Steve alten. (I'm sorry that's my ignorance) However I think the best compliment I can give this interview Owen is that I was interested enough to want to buy a copy of Meg. I think it's facinating that he involves his fans so much in his writing. I love the idea that he uses fans as his characters and lets them proof read his work. I admire anyone who isn't too big to answer his own mail. This is very well written and made me interested in your subject. I had my first attempt at the journalism genre this week. I wrote an Event Review so I was especially interested to read your interview." -- Sooz, Dalton, England, Cumbria.


Letters From Afghanistan by Ben Overby (1)
"Nice essay; we all know why the soldiers are there and why they do it, but your essay aptly conveys what the families of those brave men and women must endure on a daily basis." -- Heath Karrow.


Can You See It? by James A McGee (1)
"Beautiful story told well; held my attention throughout. Effective descriptions. Had a bit of difficulty with the gun barrell keeping time with your heart and the leading sentence in the last paragraph. " -- Ben Overby.


Life, Love And The Pursuit Of Un-Intoxication by Rob Baked (1)
"Baked has done it again with a fine writing, and diligent research. I cant wait for the next one...lm" -- lordmoose, la, ca, los angeles.


Psycho Jack Turns 44 by S A Robinson (1)
" I must say that P.J. has quite the expletory vocabulary , of course having met the BIRTHDAY BOY myself on occasion I have to say that you have truly captured the essence of his demeanor and described his animated personality in an exqisit array of adjectives . It's got a good beat and it's easy to dance to." -- Thomas Retynski, Tacoma, Wa.


Night Lights Shine On by Frank Dunsmore (1)
"I never knew lighthouses could be so interesting! Well written article with lots of fascinating facts and vivid imagery. Five stars!" -- Anne Helgren.


The Truth by Amit Gupta (2)
"Nice story. You are a good writer. Love from me. Mack well, CA" -- mack.
"I like the story very much. But I also think the story is more for South Asian readers due to the culture and thoughts invovled in it, it would have be much easier to grasp if the writer had explained a bit about the culture/society along with this nice story. " -- Diya, Toronto, Ontario.


Trading The Metal by Steven R. Kravsow (3)
"As usual, Mr. Kravsow can chose words that make me smile, yet put a lump in my throat! Seeminly I have felt that same pain!" -- Pat, Grand Junction, CO, USA.
"I've been there done that!!! you've put my feelings intop words" -- Sheila, Windsor, NS, Canada.
"life changes, while difficult, also bring new expectations. he nailed it, once again." -- pam, okemos, mi.


Before I Exceed To Glory by Renee Zeno (1)
"This is amazing how true to life this story is to one very similar in my home town. One of best friends has this same disease and has a son who is a very good basketball and she wants him to go on to college and play at the next level. I think that you were reading Denese and Adam's mind when you wrote this story. It made me cry." -- Vicki Roberts Bowen, Metter, GA, USA.


Dungeons Of Darkness by Marvin V Arnett (5)
"I think the essay is excellent. All young people shoud read this. It gives you an insight into how far we have come and how far we still have to go. " -- Shirley, Detroit, Michigan, USA.
""I certainly enjoyed this essay! This writing increased my interest of wanting to travel to Africa. I thought the author's way of combining historic accounts along with her personal reflections lent cohesiveness to the two (2) continents Africa and American. Thanks for allowing us to share in your travels."" -- Rogenia Goza, Detroit, , Michigan, USA.
"I had heard of places like this but it hasn't been talked about much. It is an important part of history. Thank you Marvin for bringing it out more into the light." -- ROX, REDFORD, MI, Wayne.
"Dungeons of Darkness eloquently brings us Mr. Arnett's account of her journey to Elmina Castle in search of roots for all African-Americans. She answers the four w's--who, what, where and when? Elmina Castle was not the only forced embarkation point for slaves, but it is certainly the most notorious. Thank you, Ms. Arnett, for having the courage to take this journey and narrate it to us. This is required reading for all." -- Marie Poplawski, St. Clair, MI, USA.
"I am an activist for "Reparations" in America, for the descendants of African Slaves. I found this essay to be truthful, spiritually evoked and riveting. Thank you, Diva Arnett for opening your vessel...and sharing your soul." -- N' Griot The Poet, Southfield, Michigan, United States.


Celebration Of Life by Shenielle Aloysis (1)
"I liked the story a lot. It keeps one's attention throughout. Thanks for sharing it." -- Randy Barfield.


Mushi Mushi by Rachel Thian Yeng (4)
"Interesting!" -- Lai Ming, kuala lumpur, wp, Malaysia.
"The story is quite nice but there is only one little grammar mistakes.This story reminds me of my first time experience in Japan..." -- adrianna, maryland, America.
"ohh,I felt like going to Japan after reading it!Quite okay." -- Mei Sin, kuala lumpur, malaysia.
"sdfs" -- lily.


A Blessing In Disguise by S Burkhead (4)
"I read the story and my eyes teared-up, what a wonderful story." -- Lisa.
"As the mother of two boys (soon to be three), I was touched by your story. They are all a blessing." -- E.L. Bennett, Chesapeake, VA, USA.
"The title is excellent. A close friend of mine did have an abortion but never realised what she`d done until she later gave birth to her other children. I bet this is common and your story could help those making the decision." -- wendy, Kent, UK.
"This is great, I'm glad things worked out well for you! A child is a wonderful experience!" -- C G L Davies.


Oscar Costin D-Day by Jock Pichette (1)
"It`s very interesting to learn about Oscar. I liked the opening and your description of how you first saw him. I did become a bit confused after that as to whether he was speaking or you, also initially you refer to your notes and I wondered what you meant. I think much of the problem is speech marks and punctuation, this is something I have great difficulty with myself. I have found free online help with this, thanks to others pointing out the problem to me. If you email me I will give you the website. Hope this advice helps, and regards to Oscar! [email protected]" -- Wendy, Kent, UK.


A Story Of One Man, His Universal Carrier And The Unknown by Jock Pichette (1)
"Not a title you're likely to fit all upon a marquis. Other than that the only problem I found with it is that even in essay form whether this story is fact or fiction essay (doesn't matter) quotations must be put in quotation marks just as with story. I know what you're thinking: Who's this kid to judge? I'll just look at "his" terrible little story. I can assure you mine needs work too, but I know what to work on, so let's not trade punches. Merely trying to help that's all." -- EC Allen.


Reliving Another Senseless Death by Greg Stephens (1)
"Put some more comma's in, it'll be 'aight" -- Kimberly De Liz.


Photo Man by Steven R. Kravsow (1)
"Liked opening. Exc.description of character.Not sure on paragraphs e.g."Noise. Pandemonium" etc. and "Window. Climb." etc. Prefer airman`s quotes. All dialogue excellent.Better ending IMO if the airman, or the writer had walked away, perhaps more dramatic. I enjoyed this piece, I liked it that he was a photographer rather than combat soldier, it gave original insights." -- Wendy Ogden, Sevenoaks, Kent, England.


On Death And The Spirit World by Lissa N Metz-Gomez (6)
"Very interesting. I never understood why ghosts were said to appear in vague mists and silhouettes instead of regular, human form. You bring up a good point." -- Meg.
"Very interesting. I liked it. It reminded me of what I am studying now in Susciliuma, and you are a good writer. Keep writing, you'll make it." -- Tahmi , Town North of Black Sea.
"Interesting essay. True, we need to respect ghosts and others beings just as we respect all humankind and other living things. Through one's energy a human being can greatly affect its surroundings. If one has a peaceful heart--then a peaceful environment can be created. And so is the opposite. Keep writing about this topic." -- cokin, cdo, philippines.
"I found this extremely interesting." -- Daph, Canada.
"I found this very iteresting." -- Daph, Canada.
"well written....." -- georgi.


A Blemish In My Life - A Memoir by Deb Meyer (4)
"I'm so sorry! That must have been a really bad experience for you... damn those doctors... " -- Kimberly.
"This was a good story, maybe it will help other patients with acne who are self-conscience. I'm glad you learned something and you're still alive." -- Tracy Palmer, Normal, Illinois, USA.
"Your story conveys the important message that antibiotics and prescription medication compromise the healthy immune system. A person as determined to reverse acne as you must now begin to take some acidophilus, eliminate sugar from the diet and research regaining health. Keep up the good work!" -- Marilyn, Sarasota, Florida, USA.
"I really wish I could think of a way to get your story out to the public. This needs to be told. You probably not the only one who has done this. What a story. Woman's World would print it. Hmm, any ideas. Write to me maybe I can help you hunt down a source. [email protected]" -- georgie lamb.


The Battle With The Bat by Michael Wolfe (3)
"That was really good, Mike! :-) I liked the way you brought humor into your story.. i laughed out loud many times. I just thought you'd like to know! :-) Keep writing, and whatever you do... stay away from bats, okay?" -- kimberly.
"Very cute, Mike! I can definitely relate (see "Of Mice and Garbage Men")!" -- Jennifer Nobile Raymond, New York, NY.
"i have a history of putting down authors, but you.. you're actually someone who can make people laugh... good job, and that's a lot coming from me, Mike" -- Hu Long Wai (Veronica).


My Not So Called Life by Natalia Pedroza (2)
"The stiry is very interesting, shows what I think of Colombia. Excelent description and great way to call the story. She will grow out to be an excellent writter." -- Maria, Miami, Florida, United States.
"Excelent excelent excelent excelent excelent excelent " -- Lilian, Orlando, Florida, USA.


As Long Lives This...Then This Gives Life To You. by Sorcha Colleran (4)
"this story is imaginative and brilliant it captures the feelings that can be sometimes overlooked when a loved one dies well done to the author she will be famous someday if there is justice in the world." -- jenny, bray, wicklow, ireland.
"this piece not only touched and moved me but also called out to the very core of my soul.this writer is exceptionally talented.i want to see more of her works published.i've no doubt she'll be famous one day,but she'll always be a little superstar to us!!!!" -- debbie, bray, leinster, wicklow.
"I would appreciate any commentt and advice you have,I need all the help I can get :) And the reviews above-although sweet and I will treasure them-I'm afraid they might have been a little biased,so any other reviewers (ones that live more than two miles away from me :))please tell me what you think.Thank you,Sorcha." -- sorcha, Ireland.
"I enjoyed this story quite a bit. Having been to a number of funerals myself I could easily see what you were describing. I think you could even expand the story further. Tell about the dinner after the funeral when people talk about the deceased and tell stories. Stuff like that. I liked the showing of the things left by the woman that hadn't been removed(makeup books etc.) Good work keeping writing." -- N.G. Wolfgang.


My Second Identity by Pegi Handley (1)
"I enjoyed reading this story despite own personal views on the subject. The intro. drew me in by making me like the main character and opening in the college a safe or friendly setting. I found it compelling but felt that the conclusion would have been better if it had followed through in the same style of the text. i.e. The action of the arrest would have been a more dramatic conclusion. Loved particularly the laughter from the housekeeper. Hope this helps. " -- wendy, Kent, UK.


Bi And Buy -- Sex Self-Help by Victoria King (5)
"The review of this piece can be found in two words. "Who cares."" -- Greg Olson, New York, New York, USA.
"I agree, Greg. This is extremely egotistical and stupid. Get a life and brag about something that is worth it next time. We all know YOU are the one that wrote your "About Author" stuff... why make yourself suond so great? Puhlease!!" -- Christy Mack.
"it so good to read" -- omiii2001, karachi, sind, pakistan.
"I liked that, it was informing, open minded, and kept me interested the whole entire way through." -- KyleMae, Auburn, Wa, US.
"Extremely well written, however, not the kind of genre I prefer. But I suppose when you're a 6'7" female, you can become easily bored with ordinary people and/or (tedious?) lifestyles. " -- Dick Koss, Ohio.


Lee At Chancellorsville by Mauricio Esquenazi (1)
"maurcio! thjis is kisha... yo american buddy....i found this site... nice. very nice.. love ya!" -- Kisha West, monroe, tn, USA.


The Family Executioner by Steven R. Kravsow (3)
"Another wonderful piece by one of our best up and coming writers. Your eye for detail is grand, this is one of my favorites! Keep up the good work." -- Pammie, Lansing, Michigan, USA.
"Zow *s* ,This was a wonderful effort ...very detailed and held my interest. I also found the location to be of interest. In my travels for my job, I have spent many days in Rocky Hill, Weathersfield and Hartford. Stay the course for you do good work." -- Donna (Maggie*Va), Midlothian, Virginia.
"The writing here is so fluid I was engrossed in the story from beginning to end." -- Jennifer Nobile Raymond, New York, NY.


Stars & Stripers by Steven R. Kravsow (2)
"Wow! ...and that's an understatement! It's written with such feeling. I truly enjoyed the history lesson it gave. Great work, Steven! " -- Tammy, VA.
"Totally riveting....it left me breathless. Wonderfully written." -- JT.


Overcoming Anguish by Sandra Lee Larsen (2)
"What can I say. I admire you. I will try to take some of your lessons to heart. Thank you!!!!" -- georgie, san jose, ca.
"Being new at this I can only say that your story seemed to have no begining or end. Also what happened in between should be expanded upon. You may have many short stories within this story. " -- Robert Carlomagno, San Angelo, Tx, USA.


A Cry For Help by Sondra Collard (4)
"This is hilarious! I really enjoyed this and I think you should send it out - You did a terrific job and I wish you luck with your writing --- it reminded me of Erma Bombeck. " -- Valerie, San Jose, CA, USA.
"That is great. Ienjoyed it very much. Do more, you are an axcellent writer." -- Robert carlomagno, San Angelo, Tx, USA.
"lol this is funny! Nice. Like ur style of writing! if you want to look at some of my stuff I'm C G L Davies on this thing! Have fun!" -- C Davies.
"I don't think there a person in this country who doesn't watch lots of television. I have to say this was funny." -- Jeanette.


Bass Blood Runs Deep by Linda Marie Brainard (1)
"I was pleased to be able to learn so much from this publication about my great, great grandfather, Captain Columbus Moore. It was fascinating. Thanks you Ms. Brainard." -- Roderic Moore, San Lorenzo, Ca, Alameda.


There are 33 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.