www.storymania.com
Storymania Logo

 

 

Essays - Reviews




Short Stories - Reviews
Poetry - Reviews
Novels - Reviews
Plays - Reviews
Screenplays - Reviews
Songs - Reviews
Non-Fiction - Reviews
Essays Reviews
Foreign - Reviews
Reference - Reviews
Children - Reviews
Genres - Reviews

The Death Of My Mom by Randall Barfield (3)
"I'm not sure what this was about, but it was good nonetheless. Personally, I feel crying at funerals is pointless. It can't bring the loved one back. It's good that you reacted the way you did. If anything, no matter how mrbid this sounds, you should be happy when one has died, for it means that that person has left the hell we call earth. I'm sure you mom is in a happier place, should you believe in the afterlife." -- Jeff.
"Its good to write out your emotions and feelings. It is true in what you say, because at the time when you have to deal with this, God makes you a stronger person to cope with it all. Even though you were not around your mother - She did loved you from the bottom of her heart - deep deep inside all mothers love their children. (before my own brother died he told me to pray to God - when he died l prayed to God. It made me very strong on that day. When l wanted to cry on that day, l just remembered God and the tears stopped. Sometimes we greif afterwards in our own time. So even if you cry on your own - it is good to let it all out. I agree with Jeff with his comment on "the Hell that we live in". You know this is what my brother said, before he died, for now l know that my brother is happy in Peaceful Heaven." -- Amy, London, UK.
"Crying is obviously a personal thing. I have leaked tears at many funerals where I was especially close to the deceased. Those were selfish tears because I knew I would miss spending time with that person and it made me feel sad knowing I would never again share their company. Other times I have shed tears for those left behind when I saw their sadness and the hurt they felt when confronted with their loss. These moments were for kids who lost their parents and/or siblings or for parents who lost young children. I can only imagine the pain parents must feel to have their children die before them. " -- Richard.


Let's Legalize Pot! by James Cartwright (1)
"I like the points, but, um...'mellow, relaxed stoners'? 'Doesn't create addicts'? 'Safe alternative'? It's a good thing I'm not in those easily-influenced teen years, or I might be confused by this article..." -- Shifra.


Everything's Routine by Pearl S (6)
"Most of this, has already been said by numerous other authors. Some of which, developed this matters much deeper than this. My advice is for you to read some of them. Authors like: Albert Camus, Jean Paul Sartre, William Faulkner. I also advise you to read some portuguese authors like: Ant�nio Lobo Antunes and the famous poet Fernando Pessoa. All of these can provide you a great reading experience, and a profitable one if you're willing to take advantage of it. Routine can lead one to monotony, despair, entropy. The act of writting should/must be a way to surpass such feeling. One most not acomodate him self with the life he's taking. " -- �lvaro de Campos.
"Thank you. " -- Pearl.
"This work touched on an issue that I think everyone can relate to at some, or -maybe as in your mind- all points in their lives. I wrote a piece entitled 'Routine' a while back but it never saw the light of day because it always tended to depress me immensely. This, however, was enjoyable to read and well written too, which I don't think can ever be bad points. I especially liked the last few lines!" -- Rowan Davies.
"Hey, Pearl. I can see why you liked my story. Although, I must admit, my story was not intended to be a message, or express the way I felt, it was only me fooling around with ideas in my head. I liked what you wrote, and a lot of the time I feel the same way, like your whole life is planned and plotted, everyday the same this the same that. That's why, for me at least, writing means a lot. Good story. Cheers." -- Robert Bell.
"hey pearl. how would school be w/out routine? picture this: school every other day of every other week in every other month... and chores, ditto... it would be bliss - but not reality! so do little stuff to make it more interesting and break out of the cycle. just a suggestion.." -- miriam.
"thanks, will do. i find music and things help me do that, make it more interesting and spontaneous. the point i was trying to make is that ppl can go through their entire day on auto pilot, and when it's over, it's almost as if they never lived that day. it's hard to explain...see above reviews, lol" -- pearl.


Why We Should Not Invade Iraq by James Cartwright (2)
"Good points... I agree entirely, If only all our government officals had the same views of common sense as you..." -- Miles Tugman.
"Your essay is well written, well thought out, and well supported. Too late now, though." -- Peter Wiggin.


The Hopeless Cynic: Let's Get Typical by Robert G Hagans (2)
"Yea!" -- KungFu Gibbon.
"My Mummy would be so proud of me, I am the least mathematical person I know, but I got this. I can do it. Im not going to mention the words sexist bullshit, no I'm not because I really enjoyed this and found myself relating it to all my friends (male and female)Now which type am I. Honey even if you were twenty years older you wouldn't touch me with a bargepole. I'm the dreaded 3A 3. I have all the good characteristics of a perfect 3, BUT cross me and I become the psycho bitch from hell. I'm a bunny burner extrodinaire. Jealous, possessive and you don't want to see me scorned. Now I'm just glad I've got a partner who knows how to handle me because I've blown any chance I ever had of getting a date again ...ever! I loved this jokey and fun but with a serious side in that it actually does work. ... Mother I'm going to be a mathematician. " -- Sooz, Dalton-in-Furness, England, Cumbria.


Rape Of Maya's Singing Caged Bird by Samantha Carter (2)
"Sometimes the fault of a crime is not always the criminal who committed the crime. Sometimes entrapment occurs, when the term candicy is what it is. This essay is just another whining attention getter. If you are going to write, write something better than what you complain about constantly. No one cares, except yourself and your family. Welcome to the USA." -- Essa Durrancey, Olympia, WA, USA.
"I don't understand why it took you ten years to consider going to the police. I sympathize with your traumatic experience, however, this is not the best venue to share your auto-biography. " -- Richard.


The Adventure Of Human Freedom by Jeffrey (George) Winter (4)
"I envy you your faith. I wish I'd been able to find absolute faith. I had to read some parts of this two or three times to truly take in what you were saying, if this had been a piece of fiction that would have been a critisism, but with a piece like this it's good to stretch peoples understanding. I had to concentrate to try and understand, and although I might not agree with everything you wrote I respect your opinion and your essay. " -- Sooz, Dalton, England, Cumbria.
"Sooz, thanks for the critique and I can relate to having to re-read something until grasping it or grasping it somewhat. Been there, done that...and still do that. I appreciate your acknowledgement that such material calls for writing that requires that approach. Since you took the time to read and respond in a way that shows it wasn't a quick read, would like to discuss at your leisure and choice your disagreements. I don't claim to know much or even a great deal and enjoy talking with someone who has a different view or understanding. Like you say, it's good to have one's mind, and maybe even heart, stretched. Thanks again! Jeff " -- Jeff, Summit Lake, WI, USA.
"You are an excellent writer, Jeffrey (George) Winter, certainly you are looking for more than the hassle you can get here. RoseDog.comThe largest manuscript showcase available to writers, agents, and publishers.Enter RoseDog BooksBecome a published author at a fraction of the cost of traditional self-publishing.Enter RoseDog is working to get writers noticed. We now have 110 publishers and 59 agents registered with us! There are over 6,870 manuscripts in the showcase! � Writers: Are you looking for a publisher or agent? Learn about the benefits of RoseDog membership here. � Showcase excerpts from your unpublished work quickly and easily. Use your RoseDog email to communicate with other writers. Request a free banner to draw attention to your manuscript. � Read our Writers FAQs here. � Agents and Publishers: Find out why RoseDog makes good business sense for you. No fees, no commissions, no hassles. " -- RoseDog Afficianado.
"This was an astounding piece of work! The author finds a way to weave his way to one's soul and although his approach is challenging, it is after all consideration, in no way disparaging. Kudos to him. Let's see more!" -- Samuel, Antigo, WI.


Jeffrey Dahmers In Suits by Mike Schilller (15)
"I agree wholeheartedly with this little analysis. Something has to be done. Stop this madness. I like the case for "leaders" being cannibals, it works really well. Have you read "A Modest Proposal" by Johnathan Swift? Pretty similar and also very funny, I'm sure you could find it on the web somewhere. Have a look. " -- Fergus O'Ferguson.
"This is a well written article. I think that those corporate execs who are willing to sacrifice thousands of American soldiers for their own interests in the war against Iraq are intelligent people but their actions are just insane. I think that President Bush is about to cause more harm than good to American citizens if he sends U.S. troops against Saddam Hussein and his military forces. The "Jeffrey Dahmers in suits" are definitely sociopaths with no capability for remorse or compassion. I enjoyed your article very much." -- Alberta .
"It's quite a leap between cannibals and shady business men. You are drawing an incorrect comparison, which is similar to saying God and Satan are exactly the same because they both change people's lives. I'm not defending cannibals nor shady businessmen, but you do make a major leap to connect the two. Here's a couple of facts that more people, especially Americans should be made more aware of. Fact: A majority of illicit drugs are a major source of decay in the US, but drug money doesn't fund terrorist operations. Fact: Oil money does fund terrorist operations, but since no one, Democrat or Republican likes to admit this much, we call very bad people, like the Saudi Arabians our "friends." Fact: George Bush isn't Satan personified, vying for the downfall of all mankind. He's a good man making the best out of a bad situation. Fact: Iraq is a case of herpes being treated like cancer, but that case of herpes is all too willing to drop a nuke right on you. " -- Anonymous.
"Saddam Hussein is blessed man by Allah. He not hurt anyone Armerica or ohterwise. I do not beleive he would till I see bomb falling out of sky. only then will I bleive." -- al mussafa.
"And then you'll be dead, you stupid jerk. This is the same line I keep getting from Arabs and liberals alike. They won't believe that Iraq will launch nuclear weapons at innocent men, women, and children, until one of them lands on their dumb ass." -- Anonymous.
"you spaek of innocents dying. what of my people, who you infedels drop bomb on day nad night. what of suffering of my women and children? you so called innoncent americans deserve to die!" -- al mussafa.
"Typically the conversation has descended into complete rubbish. One side slanging the other, God, Allah, my way, your way, this way, that way. I'm right. You are wrong. Is there any hope when this is where discussion gets us? If, according to the somewhat unconvincing and most likely bogus al mussafa, Americans deserve to die, then surely by an extention of the same logic Americans may draw their own conclusion that innocent arabs deserve to die. This line of argument is obviously unfit fodder for even microbes. I'd like to know what the difference between an innocent arab and an innocent westerner is really constituted by, and in the unlikely event that someone can actually come up with something plausible, I'd like to know on what basis the validity of one over the other is maintained. If anyone mentions god or allah or even the devil I will be very unhappy. This is a very serious problem and it concerns everyone - and perhaps everthing - on the planet, so this descent into mere insults looks like a joke we can all cry at in the future. I don't think you exist al mussafa. Unfortunately I'm sure anonymous is all too real, ignorant - not his/her (but this kind of bile and vitriol is usually the mark of an accomplished man) fault I am certain, angry, misdirected and impotent. This kind of yelling will take us, as human beings, far into the future where all our children can be safe and happy." -- Fergus O'Ferguson.
"The difference between us and them, as you can obviously see is that they believe we should die, we on the other hand do not believe in killing their innocent men, women and children." -- Anonymous.
"You're a dumbass Anonymous, Fergus is right about that. You're doing this to suit your own political ends, and I know you gotta be one of the high-ups in the Republican party, just coming here to piss people off. The Arabs teach peace and love. And they show there message through their practices." -- Tim.
"Oh yea, you mean like blowing up buses, cafes, and high rise buildings. Gotcha. I've had enough of this. This is my final post in this review. I just hope the liberals on this board will be very sorry when they find themselves very wrong. Of course then it will be too damn late." -- Anonymous.
"I wonder if al mussafa and Anonymous are the same person? I wonder if Mike Schiller, Tim, and Fergus O'Ferguson are the same person? If you're reading this too Mr. Advisor do you know. Contact me if you do, I'm curious." -- Catherine P., Tolstoy, VT.
"Does it really matter Catherine? Each of these opinions by these "individuals" seems legitimate and honest and helps to further support each's cause. I think we should take it at face value. By the way I saw all the number count on this title so it made me want to take a look. I think it is a good piece of writing, though one-sided and partisan as the political gurus say, and keep in mind I'm voting Democratic tomorrow. And Catherine P. if you're reading this, I think you have the best work on the site, it is inspiring." -- Ashley Williams.
"I agree Ashley. But might I add that I am just me and not Mike or Tim." -- Fergus O'Ferguson.
"Mike Schiller is a weak imitation of the Tom Haydens, Abbie Hoffmans, Gore Vidals of another generation. Ignorance, vitriol, impotence, bile, as Fergus labels the words of conservative Republicans, is found in abundance in everything written by Schiller. This is not even good fiction. And you deserve each other, the rest of you little undereducated, uninformed, inexperienced fools, who call yourself liberals because it's hip and chic to be liberal - everybody knows that. Most of you never made enough money to afford a suit. But that's okay because we all know that only bad quys wear suits. Right? " -- Richard.
"So how do you make heads or tail out this. Will I hate war I guess your saying the millary makes people mential ill Jeffrey Dahmer was total insane. Sad part they waitted until he killed some people." -- Jeanette H.


A Candle Still Burning: An Excerpt From My Memoir by Vianne-Marie Fortier (2)
"I came across your writing while doing a search for "camp dark waters". I attended many years ago, both as a camper and counselor. Your excerpt was well written, and brought back many warm memories. One note; the friendship circle song is "God is nigh" (nigh means near), not "God is night". Most of us got that wrong in the 70's too!" -- Carol Theodore.
"zcjeatwg lipxfw lfgdqakyc gzums bkzeqihng evrcdobfu kswjia" -- xmgok vmhfjzoa, uwbyazpvr, CA, USA.


Strength's Illusion by Jeffrey (George) Winter (1)
"My wife and I both read your essay and although our perspectives differ, we agreed that it shows excellent insight, a keen ability to relate to people with a unique and thought-provoking style of writing and a deep concern for others. In short, keep up the tremendous work and as you've time, get in touch with some publishers and magazines. They'd salivate! " -- Tom and Linda, Rhinelander, WI.


Revisiting Myself by Charles Cotterman (1)
"just want to say I think you're right.No comments-I'm 19 and I feel the same.It's great to realize some share your ideas.Thanks for writing this piece,man." -- dima, Russia.


The Best Friend by Kylan Masters (2)
"I really like this. It was quietly funny in the beginning, and wistfully true at the end. " -- Hannah.
"That was really sweet! if only there were more guys like that... its a shame that you hate being that way. or being TREATED that way. keep it up!" -- lindsay, MO.


The Immigrant Story by David Soriano (1)
"Rebuild all your runes." -- COra.


Lapine Roles by Vianne-Marie Fortier (1)
"Excellent essay Vianne-Marie. I understand it better than most being a close follower of works such as that from Richard Adams and Brian Jacques. I even once tried to write a personification about human/rabbit crossbreeds in a Medieval age, though the story never did develop right." -- JA St.George.


Bardo Blurb by Sunny (2)
"Hmmm.... you could turn these ramblings into some sort of statement if you wanted. The ugly candor with which it's written has promise." -- Iam.
"Having read three of your depressing plotless tales, i somehow have the image of a dying man, giving the finger to the ups and downs of life's staircase. " -- TB.


Student And Studies by Juned Ahsan (1)
"nice effort,keep it up !" -- sara, quetta, pakistan, baluchistan.


Evolving To Simplicity; Our Lack Of Human Evolution by Branson Storm (2)
"I find myself often drawn to your work and commenting upon it just as often, because as it stands you are probably the most gifted poet upon this site, with Sooz a close second. Although this particular work isn't poetry, it does have that melodious qualty. For "Evoking..." a reader must literally brace him/herself, because it does have a sufficient emotional impact. However it begins with a stutter step "I�m don�t pester." The rest of the grammar looks mint throughout, but that initial mistake might disuade a reader from looking beyond that first word. I assume this article is biographical, and in that case I commend you for putting your past out there and on the line. As always you give significant social commentary, whether your readers agree with you or not. This is the hallmark of a great journalist. --The Advisor" -- JA St.George.
"my review is that it is good enough to our lack of human evolution..." -- kashif fakhruddin, karachi, pakistan, sindh.


If Only (If Only) by Joseph Robert Herrick (1)
"Wonderful tone and character voice. I like the no name 'it can be anyone' affect. Very moving overall." -- Jacob Nesjel, USA, Kentucky.


The Effects Of Human Cloning Through Experimentation by Elizabeth A Letourneau (1)
"I enjoyed reading this but I found the logic of the piece very confused. Just to cite a few instances, you seem to equate having yourself cloned with living forever. This is completely false: somebody who had the same genetic code as me living on after my death would be a completely different case to ME "living" after my death, as in the religious notion of an afterlife. If I was survived by my identical twin that would be the same as my clone surviving me, but sadly I would still be DEAD! In fact the whole topic of identical twins (genuine clones of one another) was left out of your article. Although it is true that as we develop in the womb each body cell is a clone of the first one, the cells rapidly differentiate out to form the various bodily organs and become completely different to one another in what they do. The notion of cloning a complete human being is quite different to this. You also glossed over two very important technical points: 1. to get one viable foetus with animals something like 250 - 300 implantations are required. Are human hosts going to accept that small a success rate? 2. There is considerable evidence that cloned animals are disease-prone and have amuch shorter lifespans than normal members of their species. The technique would need to be a lot better before it would be ethical to apply it to people. The likely failures and partial failures are a large part of what makes it ethically unacceptable. As for using it to serve the needs of infertile couples, why not ordinary IVF or even adoption? Why should they want clones of themselves? I am basically pro-science (although I don't agree that the world would have come to an end without it!) and even pro-cloning for sound medical reasons, but you seem to want it at any cost and for very questionable motives." -- David Gardiner, London, England.


Racism In Modern Literature by Christian Obermanns (2)
"CHRISTIAN: WHILE I UNDERSTAND YOUR ESSAY TIME CONSTRAINT, I'D LIKE TO ADD A FEW FACTS. AFRICAN PROVIDENTIAL KINGS FREELY SOLD THEIR PEOPLE. YET, AMERICA, ENGLAND, PORTUGAL AND OTHER COUNTRIES WERE WRONG TO PARTICIPATE. EVENTUALLY, OUR COUNTRY PAID THE PRICE WITH THE LOST OF 50,000 INNOCENT LIVES. PERTAINING TO THE ASIANS: AS WITH ALL NATIONS WHO LOST THEIR INITIATED PHYSICAL WAR CAMPAIGN, THE ASIANS HAVE ALSO TRIED AND FAILED TO INHERIT THE EARTH THROUGH FINANCIAL DOMINANCE. I ALSO WOULD'VE ENJOYED READING ABOUT THE ALLEGED PLIGHT OF TODAYS NATIVE INDIANS. I SAY ALLEGED BECAUSE THE INDIANS HAVE NO ILL WILL AGAINST MEXICO AND SPAIN, BUT ONLY AGAINST AMERICA. WHY? THE INDIANS DEFEATED THE MEXICAN AND SPANIARD ARMIES, BUT LOST TO THE AMERICAN COLONY. TALK ABOUT SORE LOSERS. AND IF THE INDIANS WERE SUCH PEACE LOVING PEOPLE, THEN WHY WERE THERE SO MANY DIFFERENT TRIBES. ALL COUNTRIES PAST AND PRESENT HAVE A KING OF THE HILL MENTALITY. BUT, AS HISTORY HAS PROVEN, ALL EMPIRES EVENTUALLY SELF-DESTRUCT. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT BECAUSE OF THE MIXING OF THE RACES, WE MAY SEE GLOBAL UNITY IN FUTURE GENERATIONS. " -- JOHN D. GALYON, JR., MANCHESTER, NH, USA.
"while you laid out your essay pretty well, concentrating on two books, the writing was confusing. i could not figure out what your point was as the examples were all intermingled. overall sentence construction was bad. but, hey good try. " -- sunny, dc, usa.


Glen Of Purity, In Wood Of Dying Light (Anne Frank Diary Entries) by Vianne-Marie Fortier (1)
"I'll be honest with you Vianne, I wasn't looking forward to reading this, not my thing at all, add to that the fact that it was written as a school asignment and I cringed as I opened it to read. How wrong can you be? It was articulate, very well written and full of 'the human touch'. I forgot I was reading a piece of school work and just settled into what I was reading and enjoyed it. I think Anne herself would have been proud of this. I'll be looking out for more of your stuff. " -- Sooz, Dalton-in-Furness, Cumbria, England.


The British Are Crying! The British Are Crying? by Branson Storm (13)
"Amen brother! Amen!" -- Carl E., New Orleans, LA, USA.
"For those who consider themselves "humanitarians" it needs to be remembered that these groups who follow a perverse version of Islam, are worse than Fascists or Communists, who only wanted to conquer your land and change your life, for they feel that anyone who isn't them should die. Besides, the prisoners down in Castro-land, probably think they've died and gone to be with Allah, since there present conditions are "better" than their lives back home." -- The Advisor, Marietta, OH, USA.
"My father and brother both arrived in Manhatten on the 10th September. It was unbelievable, and I dug down in my heart to hope that they were still alive, as they were sight-seeing, and going to visit the towers on the 11th. I felt the horror of that day, and saw as thousands of people lost their lives. However, responding with the attitude that you seem to be showing is not one that I can see as appropriate. War is never an answer, and I can't see how you can lower yourself to such a standard. The treatment of prisoners should never be inhuman, otherwise we could descend to the depths which were seen in concentration camps. If you want to beat an enemy, you better them, and not squabble at the same level, otherwise there are no winners. Plus, do not stereotype the English, or anyone for that matter as it is crude and presents an unreliable representation of a people you no nothing about." -- Jack Brown, Isle of Wight, England.
"Actually, Mr. Branson Storm is being down right kind in comparison to say Jeffrey Lee William Junior's "Osama Bin Laden." As for Mr. Branson, I have addressed your question within the Advisor Column, so be sure to look there. As for citizens of all countries that have fought to have their freedoms, rights and priveledges, especially America with the Declaration of Independence and England with the Magna Charta, remember that you don't have to agree with any of the opinions stated herein, but you should defend the right for them to be said." -- The Advisor.
"'Chickenshit murderers'? If carpet bombing mostly innocent people from a great height isn't 'chickenshit' then I don't know what is... I should think that what the Taliban have done is distinctly un-'chickenshit'. The murderers did give their lives for that particular disgusting act of terrorism after all. And thanks for saving us during the Second World War. The swastikka would only clash with my antique English coffee table what, what. Tally ho for now... " -- manintheshack.
"My Reply to Rowan Davies (aka - manintheshack): I deeply appreciate your taking the time to read my piece, �The British are Crying! The British are Crying?�. I find it quite condign that only Brits seem to find some offense here, yet I have no qualms with the British people, only the distortion of reality portrayed by a certain segment of the British press. Let it be known that I hold the utmost respect for the British military, post-Red Coat era, of course. My view of these soldiers are paralleled only by the words of your finest Prime Minister, Winston Churchill, as he spoke of the British airmen who fought in the Battle of Britain during the summer and fall of 1940, �Never in the field of human conflict was SO MUCH OWED BY SO MANY TO SO FEW.� Before taking-off with your degree in creative writing, please check into some classes on world history. At the age of eighteen, you�re still just, for lack of a more perfect word, a punk without the wisdom to appreciate your own blessings. On behalf of my dead grandfather, I will say, �You�re welcome for our saving you during the �Second World War�.� Also, swastika is spelled with one �K�. You might be well aware of this fact had Eisenhower decided to postpone D-Day due to bad weather, allowing Adolf�s depredation to broaden. The blaring ignorance in your comments shines with the intensity of a July 4th afternoon in Crawford. I sincerely hope your personal commendation for terror against the U.S. is not an overall reflection of the entire English youth, if so, you may want to brush-up on your Arabic and worry less about your �English coffee table clashing with a swastikka� and spend more of your mental might on how it might look in your new cave, should you be lucky enough to survive. Saddam Hussein is much closer to you than us and once he has the capability to strike beyond the Mediterranean, he�ll bypass the Israelis and cross the North Sea, targeting you instead, since after all, you were the ones who carved Israel out of Palestine. As we say in Texas, �Wake up son!� As for your piece entitled �Oomph�, I suggest writing harder. Don�t end a piece because you�re tired or timeless or have met the minimum criteria, it�s much too obvious. I suggest either beginning with the final paragraph and scratching everything prior, or scratching the final paragraph, as it only retells the preceding story in its entirety, then continuing on. There�s a story somewhere in the mix - write it. This is only acceptable because you are young and ignorant and preoccupied with other things in life � believe it or not, myself and many others on this site know this feeling all too well. Luckily, we didn�t have the Internet to help us so easily display our juvenile naivety to the entire free world (the key word here being �free�). In time, your stance will endulcorate and you will hopefully find some sense in it all, if not, good luck with your ever-deepening precipice. " -- STORM, TEXAS, USA.
"Dear Mr Storm, Thank you for taking the time to read my piece of work (�Oomph�) thoroughly as I have done with yours. Although your comments weren�t overly encouraging, you have helped me come to my senses and realise that in order to re-write this as a more involving and entertaining story I perhaps need to remove the beginning, middle and end. As you are undoubtedly aware, such wisdom is like gold dust in this more degenerate part of the world and I feel honoured that you could find it in you to bestow it upon me. Moving swiftly on. I�m afraid I have a confession to make. I was, in fact, extremely drunk when I wrote your review. My apologies. I still, however, in a less rambling, beer-fuelled way, believe that what you wrote in your piece �The British are crying! The British are crying?� is complete, utter crap. There is no easy way to put this, but I feel it has to be said. I have seen and read a few of your written articles previously and thought them to be written by a highly intelligent, thoughtful individual. This belief, however, was entirely contradicted as soon as I began reading �The British��. �Who gives a rat�s ass?�. Excuse me if I�m being overtly na�ve, but is that really the way for an intelligent, thoughtful human being to get his point across? No, I believe not. Although I aspire to your standards of in-depth criticism, I think probing this particular work of genius would only be giving you the reaction you are so clearly looking for. This �editorial� was only written to provoke such respoonses as you have received by other reviewers so far and, if that is your wish then so be it, you are succeeding. I just thought I�d better defend myself while I�m still sober (us kids, eh?). You are clearly of superior intellect to me and I respect that but, in future, please refrain from dirtying my story pages with your own self-justifying clap-trap. The world would be a better place without it, and indeed people like you, but I fear I may just have to wait for natural selection of the human species to continue for a while before that happens. I also despise the fact that you have stated that I commended the act of terrorism against the good old US of A. I think the word �disgusting� preceding that particular part of my writing shows that you have irresponsibly taken my words out of context. Oh, and I hate to nit-pick (in the same way that you so obviously don�t) but, as a side-note, precipices don�t deepen, they get higher. Happy writing! " -- manintheshack.
"Here Here!" -- Jack Brown, England.
"Mr. Davies, I respect your opinion, your work efforts and your youthful tenacity, but I must disagree with you somewhat on your restricted corral of word definitions. I was referring to the secondary, or alternative, definition of the noun �precipice�. I�m sure you�ll find it. Also, if you feel the need, keep it coming as you�re beginning to remind me of myself at your age, or take it with a grain of salt and pour yourself into your own work, disregarding anything I or anyone else might say. And, not to �dirty� your story pages, but give scotch a try, preferably single malt, it helps soothe the vociferous intellect of us so-called writers. Good luck!" -- STORM, TEXAS, USA.
"The truth hurts, but it will ultimately set you free. Nice work, Branson." -- TWG, New York, NY, USA.
"WRITE ON! You and 'TWG' have it nailed." -- Bill Jones, FL, USA.
"Ehmm..m. Sehr gut Seite! Ich sage innig..!:) bmw" -- BMW, ..., ..., ....
"Well done Branson. I'm encouraged to see that there are some men under forty who share my views. Sometimes, there is only one way to get your point across. In this piece, you have succeeded in spades. To your British critic, maninthecrack (or whatever he calls himself) regarding his comment that he may be naive, but "is that really a way for a thoughtful, intelligent human to get his point across?" After reading that part of his review, I'm reminded of something an older Sicilian man once said to me. "Sometimes you have to slap someone in the face in order to get their attention." Too bad Hitler didn't slap Neville Chamberlain in the face during their meetings in 1938. Maybe, just maybe, that would've given him a clue that appeasement wasn't going to work. Anyway, nice work." -- Richard.


The Diversity Mystique by Richard Koss (6)
"I am amazed that noone has reviewed, or at least commented on this yet. I'm only going to touch on two things as this could turn into a massive debate. Firstly, of course we must celebrate the cultures of others, not necessarily participate, but certainly celebrate the fact that they exist. Tolerance is NOT enough. Tolerating something implies a basic dislike of it, but allowing it nonetheless. Nobody is juvenile enough to suggest that you must read the Koran because you work with Muslims, or anything of the sort, let alone go to mass if you are Jewish or visit the temple if you are not etc. And you know that. This really was a rather puerile comment to make. Secondly, I was absolutely dumstruck at your comments regarding "assimilation" and no effort being made to assimilate immigrants into American society. Have you any idea whatsoever how nazi that idea is? Fine, no need to be politically correct, I'm not. But you are using political correctness and the fact that it is unchic at the moment to camouflage your obvious bigotry. Irish people now speak English due to assimilation. The holocaust was due to assimilation, or rather, destruction in order to eradicate those that would not be assimilated. Sure, immigrants come to your country. So what. They are NOT Americans. And all this stuff about the authors of such rhetoric being the only ones able to understand etc "those most different from us". "Those most different from us"?? My God, Richard, where do you think racism breeds? In just such comments. Yes, we are different. No, we do not always understand each other. Yes, this is OK. No, assimilation into the culture of the nation you live in an "allegiance" to that nation are not an answer. No answer is necessary. I'm sorry Richard, but at a guess I'd say that you are a middle aged/ageing man (I'm not about o get all personal or anything) and your ideals and comments stink of it. While believing in your own righteousness, you are sheltered in your Americanism, and out of touch with today's ideals. You want assimilation? Then...get with it! Please do not teach your children such things...please. Read any manifesto of any right wing party and you will find most of your above arguments. I don't think you are really a racist. I do think you are ignorant. I do think you are out of touch. Like I said I'm not one for political correctness. But you seem to have confused a thin-skinned dictionary of euphemisms and frightened hiring techniques with out and out racism. Which you do display. My last question. Why not speak another language in America. Why should English, and not French, German, Spanish, Sioux, Cree, Chinese be the first language. In a Country like yours, which, except for the Native Americans are ALL immigrants in some way, why do you need a single "first" language at all...outside of pure practicality. So that the white elite can stay that way. So that you remain in control. It is very, very easy to speak like you do from your position. White, Christian, middle class (I�d say). Just like those in power. " -- James, Dublin, Ireland.
"James, your comments only reinforce my disgust with the "liberal," politically correct,thinking of so many arrogant and stupid people like yourself. First of all, like a true liberal, you did not address your critique to the theme of my essay, which was, the ridiculous and illogical extremes to which political correctness has taken us. Instead, you used this review privelege to expound on your corny, clicheted, views drenched in liberalism, to aggrandize yourself, and make everyone aware that you are so elite and intellectual in your thinking, unlike an elder, washed up, out of it, bigot like myself. You make up your own definitions of English words, and pre-judge me as an individual without ever having met me. You are the epitomy of hypocrisy, but this is also true of most liberals. I doubt if you ever had a real job and probably are on the dole or a school teacher, which is pretty much the same thing. You live in a country that has been fucked up economically and politically for years and I suppose you blame elite white English people for that as well. I could suggest you "get a life" but you probably won't live long enough for it to matter." -- Richard.
"Richard, You did good. There is no way to argue with a liberal because they can't debate facts and logic. Jim from Dublin, like many Western nationals, whose own countries are screwed up from socialism and out of control immigration, like to stick their noses in our business and tell us we should be like them. Our founding fathers wrote the Constitution in English and that is our basic language. Prior to the last two decades, immigrants coming to this country were expected to assimilate and learn to speak English. This country's liberal elite who think diversity is the answer to everyone's prayers, have tried to change that. You're right, diversity is a politically correct myth that actually inhibits the achievement of excellence. " -- Uncle Sam.
"James, pearls before swine! How could you every think you can bring light into a dark room with no outlet, light switch and a powerful wind og ignorance ready to blow out any lit candle or match.... but at least you tried...." -- Liberal .
"Liberal asshole once again haunts my domain. Please learn to write and spell before you post you convoluted comments and logic. You have no fucking clue about the realities of life and like a lonely leftist without a job and not much of a life, you fall back on some Marxist essay you once read to reinforce what you perceive to be intellectual and progressive thinking. You will die and noone will care or remember you, which equates to no loss at all. You probably still live with your parents, that is, if you know who they are. " -- Richard.
"I have had many arguments with liberals who share the views of James from Dublin. Typically, they are naive, small minded people who have deluded themselves with an elitist sense of understanding and knowledge. They all read the same Marxist and socialist drivel and are drawn to this ideology because they have most likely failed at every capitalistic or entrepreneurial endeavor, including holding a real job. As usual, they attack without understanding or listening because they are incapable of objective thought. Saying that you can read most of your arguments in any right wing manifesto prompts me to ask where his arguments come from. Also, his comment that having a common language only serves practicality, is probably the best reason for it. It's common sense, so he obviously could never accept this reasoning. A belief in God and common sense are concepts totally repulsive to liberals like James from Dublin. The biggest inconsistency within the liberal philosphy is this: "How can you profess to love all mankind without a belief in God and a love for Him?" " -- A conservative scholar.


The Hopeless Cynic: Believing In Believing by Robert G Hagans (6)
"Oh, Cynical One... Good article, man, as usual. Vanilla is a good way to restore your faith, GOD THAT MOVIE ROCKS!!! VS VS VS VS VS VS VS VS VS VS..." -- Angie.
"Great read, Robert. Thanks and good luck because you're going places." -- Randy.
"Rob, you have so much going on in that head of yours i dont know how you stay sane. I'm so glad to hear your faith is restored. I'm sorry for possibly being one of those not-so-nice girls. Never stop writing, it's a sorce of life and truth in your life." -- flashdance.
"Vanilla Sky was great. They are out there but can we find them is the only true question. Im glad you regained your faith. Hope and Faith are to very powerful emotions. til next time...." -- Ryan.
"with the loss of God after the Industrial Revolution and the decay of religious belief all dogmas cracked and lose their strenght, not to be questioned. Men found himself with a load of questions and not much to answer it. the problem is Hagans if you expect something exterior will bring you strenght, that you call " wonder and awe" you are screwd because it will never be enough. The problem is not sadness, doubt, war, loss of love but disbelief itself. Cinema, Music and Literature power my soul so i can relate to what you feel, i loved "Vanilla Sky" but next time doubt hits- and it certainly will- remember that desbelief is the cancer that weakens the will and if you can do that please, please tell me how." -- Jorge Freire.
"This opened my eyes to something...maybe I'll go back to my books after all. Thank you. " -- Pearl.


May Mothers And Fathers by Randall Barfield (1)
"Excellent essay. I am a homeschooling mom, homeschooling in part due to the fact that many other parents take so little interest in their children's educations that it affects not only their child, but every child who is unable to get the assistance they need to continue to excel because the teacher's short time is taken up with the kids with the problems in the subject. If more parents took more interest, our schools would be better places - and my daughter would be in one!" -- Jenn Thomas-Orr, Belmont, CA, 94002.


There are 25 title entries with reviews on this page.


Go to page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
 

Copyright © 1998-2001 Storymania Technologies Limited. All Rights Reserved.